Jul 7, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
When Martin Brodeur hired an agent and (lightly) tested the free agent waters, it made Devils fans nervous he might actually play for another team. Those fans weren’t alone in their worries as you can count David Clarkson amongst the anxious.
Jonathan Brazeau of Sportsnet spoke with Clarkson about Brodeur’s free agency test drive and how he’s happy to have him back.
“When he had to go out there and hire an agent for the very first time for 20 years … I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous,” Clarkson said. “He’s a guy who’s won that many Stanley Cups and done what he’s done for this country Canada. It’s an honour to have him in that net and do what he does.”
We knew the Devils loved Martin Brodeur, but that’s a heck of a ringing endorsement from a teammate. Brodeur signed a two-year, $9 million deal with the Devils to stay in New Jersey to give the team something to hang their hat on this offseason.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 3
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 5
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)