Jul 7, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
When Martin Brodeur hired an agent and (lightly) tested the free agent waters, it made Devils fans nervous he might actually play for another team. Those fans weren’t alone in their worries as you can count David Clarkson amongst the anxious.
Jonathan Brazeau of Sportsnet spoke with Clarkson about Brodeur’s free agency test drive and how he’s happy to have him back.
“When he had to go out there and hire an agent for the very first time for 20 years … I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous,” Clarkson said. “He’s a guy who’s won that many Stanley Cups and done what he’s done for this country Canada. It’s an honour to have him in that net and do what he does.”
We knew the Devils loved Martin Brodeur, but that’s a heck of a ringing endorsement from a teammate. Brodeur signed a two-year, $9 million deal with the Devils to stay in New Jersey to give the team something to hang their hat on this offseason.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)