Jul 6, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
Wild owner Craig Leipold became the man of the summer when he landed top-tier free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter on Wednesday. He penned a letter to Wild fans where he called the signings a “huge step forward.”
On Thursday, Leipold seemed just as enthusiastic.
“This is a game changer,” Leipold said, according to the Washington Times. “We’re overnight changing who we are. We’re changing our identity. We’ll never get that opportunity again.”
That’s certainly a fair statement. The team sold 700 season tickets on Wednesday. Wild fans clearly seem to share Leipold’s upbeat attitude and outside of Minnesota, fans of opposing teams are looking at the Wild in a new light.
It also reinforces that in the salary cap era, sometimes the often overlooked teams can compete with franchises that have a better reputation for success.
“We didn’t think we were going to get either one,” Leipold admitted. “We heard Detroit was hot on Suter. All we know is what we’re reading. We were hearing we were up against Pittsburgh, Chicago, teams that have won in the last three or four years. These aren’t just your normal run-of-the-mill teams. They’re winning right now.”
In Minnesota, Parise and Suter were not only able to play close to home, but on a team that already had strong goaltending and a nice list of up-and-coming prospects. The Wild haven’t won a playoff series since 2003, but with this boost, they’re relevant again.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)