Jul 6, 2012, 2:52 PM EST
When Steve Yzerman acquired Anders Lindback to stabilize Tampa’s goaltending, all that remained was getting the Finnish netminder signed.
On Friday, mission accomplished.
The Lightning announced they’ve agreed to terms with the 24-year-old ‘tender on a two-year deal worth $3.6 million. Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times reports the contract pays $1.4 million in 2011-12 and $2.2 million in 2013-14 for an average annual cap hit of $1.8 million.
A restricted free agent, Lindback had received his qualifying offer from Nashville prior to be acquired by the Bolts.
The deal serves as confirmation that Lindback will be Tampa Bay’s No. 1 heading into next season. While his body of work is relatively small — just 38 appearances over two NHL seasons — he’ll head into 2012-13 ahead of Mathieu Garon, Riku Helenius and Dustin Tokarski on the depth chart.
No surprise, then, that Yzerman bolstered his blueline this offseason, in the event Lindback struggles with his first bite at a starting gig.
Tampa’s new-look defense will feature the likes of Matt Carle, Victor Hedman, Eric Brewer, Sami Salo, Brian Lee, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Brendan Mikkelson and Matt Taormina (it’s safe to assume Mattias Ohlund will either retire or end up on long-term injured reserve.)
It’s possible youngsters Keith Aulie and Evan Oberg could be in the defensive mix as well.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)