Jul 6, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
When Steve Yzerman acquired Anders Lindback to stabilize Tampa’s goaltending, all that remained was getting the Finnish netminder signed.
On Friday, mission accomplished.
The Lightning announced they’ve agreed to terms with the 24-year-old ‘tender on a two-year deal worth $3.6 million. Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times reports the contract pays $1.4 million in 2011-12 and $2.2 million in 2013-14 for an average annual cap hit of $1.8 million.
A restricted free agent, Lindback had received his qualifying offer from Nashville prior to be acquired by the Bolts.
The deal serves as confirmation that Lindback will be Tampa Bay’s No. 1 heading into next season. While his body of work is relatively small — just 38 appearances over two NHL seasons — he’ll head into 2012-13 ahead of Mathieu Garon, Riku Helenius and Dustin Tokarski on the depth chart.
No surprise, then, that Yzerman bolstered his blueline this offseason, in the event Lindback struggles with his first bite at a starting gig.
Tampa’s new-look defense will feature the likes of Matt Carle, Victor Hedman, Eric Brewer, Sami Salo, Brian Lee, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Brendan Mikkelson and Matt Taormina (it’s safe to assume Mattias Ohlund will either retire or end up on long-term injured reserve.)
It’s possible youngsters Keith Aulie and Evan Oberg could be in the defensive mix as well.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)