Jul 6, 2012, 1:16 PM EST
Signings continue to trickle in…
Dallas signs 13th overall pick at 2012 Draft
The Dallas Stars have inked their first round pick from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Radek Faksa, to a three-year entry-level contract.
Faksa is currently participating in the Stars’ annual Summer Development Camp. He has two options for the upcoming season — either make the NHL club, or be sent back to his junior team (OHL Kitchener.)
The 18-year-old center enjoyed a tremendous campaign with the Rangers last season, leading all OHL rookies in goals, assists, points, game-winning goals and plus-minus. At 6-foot-3, 202 pounds, he’s drawn many comparisons to another Kitchener product — the reigning Calder Trophy winner, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog.
Tampa Bay adds another defenseman
Bolts GM Steve Yzerman continued to stockpile blueliners on Friday, signing former Devils rearguard Matt Taormina to a one-year, two-way contract.
The 25-year-old Michigan native spent the last two years shuttling between the Devils and AHL Albany. He played 30 games for the big club last year, scoring 1G-6A-7PTS while averaging just over 16 minutes of ice time per night.
Jets get Maxwell, Dekanich
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to terms with forward Ben Maxwell and goaltender Mark Dekanich on new contracts. Terms of the agreements were not disclosed.
Maxwell, 24, appeared in nine games for the Jets last year, spending most of his time with AHL St. John’s. All told, Maxwell has appeared in 47 NHL contests between the Canadiens, Thrashers, Ducks and Jets.
Dekanich, 26, was signed by Columbus last season to back up Steve Mason but ended up missing the entire season after reconstructive ankle surgery. He was once part of the great goalie glut in Nashville — stuck behind Pekka Rinne and Anders Lindback — and has such, only has one NHL appearance on his resume.
That said, Dekanich has posted stellar numbers at the AHL level, including his 2010-11 season in Milwaukee where he posted a 2.02 GAA and .931 save percentage in 43 games.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)