Jul 6, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
Signings continue to trickle in…
Dallas signs 13th overall pick at 2012 Draft
The Dallas Stars have inked their first round pick from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Radek Faksa, to a three-year entry-level contract.
Faksa is currently participating in the Stars’ annual Summer Development Camp. He has two options for the upcoming season — either make the NHL club, or be sent back to his junior team (OHL Kitchener.)
The 18-year-old center enjoyed a tremendous campaign with the Rangers last season, leading all OHL rookies in goals, assists, points, game-winning goals and plus-minus. At 6-foot-3, 202 pounds, he’s drawn many comparisons to another Kitchener product — the reigning Calder Trophy winner, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog.
Tampa Bay adds another defenseman
Bolts GM Steve Yzerman continued to stockpile blueliners on Friday, signing former Devils rearguard Matt Taormina to a one-year, two-way contract.
The 25-year-old Michigan native spent the last two years shuttling between the Devils and AHL Albany. He played 30 games for the big club last year, scoring 1G-6A-7PTS while averaging just over 16 minutes of ice time per night.
Jets get Maxwell, Dekanich
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to terms with forward Ben Maxwell and goaltender Mark Dekanich on new contracts. Terms of the agreements were not disclosed.
Maxwell, 24, appeared in nine games for the Jets last year, spending most of his time with AHL St. John’s. All told, Maxwell has appeared in 47 NHL contests between the Canadiens, Thrashers, Ducks and Jets.
Dekanich, 26, was signed by Columbus last season to back up Steve Mason but ended up missing the entire season after reconstructive ankle surgery. He was once part of the great goalie glut in Nashville — stuck behind Pekka Rinne and Anders Lindback — and has such, only has one NHL appearance on his resume.
That said, Dekanich has posted stellar numbers at the AHL level, including his 2010-11 season in Milwaukee where he posted a 2.02 GAA and .931 save percentage in 43 games.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)