Jul 6, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT
It’s not hard to see why some of the losers of the Zach Parise sweepstakes and a number of teams that passed on the former Devils captain altogether would express interest in Ryan’s services.
According to the Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun’s sources, the teams that will go after Bobby Ryan include the Tampa Bay Lightning, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers, Ottawa Senators, and Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Red Wings and Flyers have been cited as potential destinations for Rick Nash at one point or another, but Ryan might make more sense for both squads. For the Red Wings, it would probably be easier to pry Ryan away from the Anaheim Ducks than it would be to convince the Columbus Blue Jackets to trade Nash to a division rival. The Flyers would appreciate Ryan’s lesser cap hit given how close they are to the ceiling.
The Penguins might not have as great a preference between Ryan or Nash as either one would be more than capable of excelling alongside Sidney Crosby. For that matter, either one would look good as a potential long-time linemate for Steven Stamkos in Tampa Bay, but it’s not clear if the Lightning have any interest in pursuing Nash as well.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have the trade chips to make this happen and Brian Burke has pulled off some deals with his former squad in the past, so they can’t be entirely dismissed.
That being said, the Ottawa Senators might actually emerge as the frontrunners for Ryan’s services, given that they apparently came the closest to acquiring Nash. The main thing that stood in the way of Ottawa getting Nash was the fact that he has a no-movement clause and didn’t include the Senators on his list of preferred teams.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 24
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 39
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 23
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51