Jul 6, 2012, 10:41 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames also inked Jiri Hudler to a four-year, $16 million deal, which, according to cap geek, gives them $66,668,332 committed to 23 players. Although they are currently under the cap, there is still a chance that the ceiling will be lowered when the players and owners agree to a new CBA.
On top of that, a report in June asserted that Calgary was not planning to spend close to the cap anymore – but all of their actions since then have suggested otherwise.
If Calgary decides to keep Bouwmeester then they’ll have a pretty solid – and very expensive – core of defensemen. However, if they opt to trade him, he could bring back a decent return despite his $6.68 million annual cap hit.
There’s plenty of teams that are still hungry for top-four defensemen and many of them have the cap space necessary to absorb his contract for the next two years. With the free agent market dried up, those franchise’s don’t have a lot of alternatives if they want to make a change this summer.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)