Jul 6, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Eller was taken by the St. Louis Blues with the 13th overall pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, but shipped off to Montreal along with Ian Schultz in exchange for Jaroslav Halak.
The Halak deal was very controversial at the time and while it looks like St. Louis has gotten the better end of the deal so far, it certainly helps matters for the Canadiens that Carey Price has stepped up since Halak’s departure.
Eller built off his rookie season by scoring 16 goals and 28 points in 79 games in 2011-12. He also ranked second on the Canadiens with 66 penalty minutes.
He’s projected to start the 2012-13 campaign as the Canadiens’ third-line center, but he might eventually develop into a bit more of an offensive threat.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25