Jul 6, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Eller was taken by the St. Louis Blues with the 13th overall pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, but shipped off to Montreal along with Ian Schultz in exchange for Jaroslav Halak.
The Halak deal was very controversial at the time and while it looks like St. Louis has gotten the better end of the deal so far, it certainly helps matters for the Canadiens that Carey Price has stepped up since Halak’s departure.
Eller built off his rookie season by scoring 16 goals and 28 points in 79 games in 2011-12. He also ranked second on the Canadiens with 66 penalty minutes.
He’s projected to start the 2012-13 campaign as the Canadiens’ third-line center, but he might eventually develop into a bit more of an offensive threat.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)