Jul 6, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Eller was taken by the St. Louis Blues with the 13th overall pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, but shipped off to Montreal along with Ian Schultz in exchange for Jaroslav Halak.
The Halak deal was very controversial at the time and while it looks like St. Louis has gotten the better end of the deal so far, it certainly helps matters for the Canadiens that Carey Price has stepped up since Halak’s departure.
Eller built off his rookie season by scoring 16 goals and 28 points in 79 games in 2011-12. He also ranked second on the Canadiens with 66 penalty minutes.
He’s projected to start the 2012-13 campaign as the Canadiens’ third-line center, but he might eventually develop into a bit more of an offensive threat.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)