Jul 6, 2012, 10:57 AM EDT
Days after Martin Brodeur ended his flirtation with free agency — inking a two-year, $9 million deal to stay in New Jersey — Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman confirmed he’d discussed bringing the 40-year-old netminder to Chicago.
“Marty is the winningest goalie in the history of the game, and in some ways you’d be foolish not to discuss that with him,” Bowman said. “I don’t think it says anything about [our goaltending]. We’re very comfortable with our goaltending.”
As it projects, Chicago will go into next year with the same tandem as last — Crawford the No. 1, Ray Emery the No. 2. The pair combined to allow 2.82 goals per game last year (22nd in the NHL) and post a .902 save percentage.
Bowman has stated on numerous occasions he believes in Crawford, often adding the organization feels he’ll return to his form of two years ago.
Crawford was outstanding in 2010-11 — 33-18-6 record, 2.30 GAA, .917 save percentage — but some contend that, after his first full tour through the NHL, opponents “figured him out” in 2011-12.
(Inability to seal the post, rebound control and problems on breakaways among the chief weaknesses.)
That said, Bowman doesn’t think his conversations with Brodeur undermine Crawford.
“It’s just like talking to Zach Parise or Ryan Suter. It doesn’t really disparage your crop of defensemen or forwards,” he explained. “I don’t think you would be doing you job if you didn’t talk to them.”
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 15
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)