Jul 6, 2012, 10:57 AM EDT
Days after Martin Brodeur ended his flirtation with free agency — inking a two-year, $9 million deal to stay in New Jersey — Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman confirmed he’d discussed bringing the 40-year-old netminder to Chicago.
“Marty is the winningest goalie in the history of the game, and in some ways you’d be foolish not to discuss that with him,” Bowman said. “I don’t think it says anything about [our goaltending]. We’re very comfortable with our goaltending.”
As it projects, Chicago will go into next year with the same tandem as last — Crawford the No. 1, Ray Emery the No. 2. The pair combined to allow 2.82 goals per game last year (22nd in the NHL) and post a .902 save percentage.
Bowman has stated on numerous occasions he believes in Crawford, often adding the organization feels he’ll return to his form of two years ago.
Crawford was outstanding in 2010-11 — 33-18-6 record, 2.30 GAA, .917 save percentage — but some contend that, after his first full tour through the NHL, opponents “figured him out” in 2011-12.
(Inability to seal the post, rebound control and problems on breakaways among the chief weaknesses.)
That said, Bowman doesn’t think his conversations with Brodeur undermine Crawford.
“It’s just like talking to Zach Parise or Ryan Suter. It doesn’t really disparage your crop of defensemen or forwards,” he explained. “I don’t think you would be doing you job if you didn’t talk to them.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)