Jul 6, 2012, 10:57 AM EDT
Days after Martin Brodeur ended his flirtation with free agency — inking a two-year, $9 million deal to stay in New Jersey — Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman confirmed he’d discussed bringing the 40-year-old netminder to Chicago.
“Marty is the winningest goalie in the history of the game, and in some ways you’d be foolish not to discuss that with him,” Bowman said. “I don’t think it says anything about [our goaltending]. We’re very comfortable with our goaltending.”
As it projects, Chicago will go into next year with the same tandem as last — Crawford the No. 1, Ray Emery the No. 2. The pair combined to allow 2.82 goals per game last year (22nd in the NHL) and post a .902 save percentage.
Bowman has stated on numerous occasions he believes in Crawford, often adding the organization feels he’ll return to his form of two years ago.
Crawford was outstanding in 2010-11 — 33-18-6 record, 2.30 GAA, .917 save percentage — but some contend that, after his first full tour through the NHL, opponents “figured him out” in 2011-12.
(Inability to seal the post, rebound control and problems on breakaways among the chief weaknesses.)
That said, Bowman doesn’t think his conversations with Brodeur undermine Crawford.
“It’s just like talking to Zach Parise or Ryan Suter. It doesn’t really disparage your crop of defensemen or forwards,” he explained. “I don’t think you would be doing you job if you didn’t talk to them.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)