Jul 6, 2012, 10:57 AM EST
Days after Martin Brodeur ended his flirtation with free agency — inking a two-year, $9 million deal to stay in New Jersey — Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman confirmed he’d discussed bringing the 40-year-old netminder to Chicago.
“Marty is the winningest goalie in the history of the game, and in some ways you’d be foolish not to discuss that with him,” Bowman said. “I don’t think it says anything about [our goaltending]. We’re very comfortable with our goaltending.”
As it projects, Chicago will go into next year with the same tandem as last — Crawford the No. 1, Ray Emery the No. 2. The pair combined to allow 2.82 goals per game last year (22nd in the NHL) and post a .902 save percentage.
Bowman has stated on numerous occasions he believes in Crawford, often adding the organization feels he’ll return to his form of two years ago.
Crawford was outstanding in 2010-11 — 33-18-6 record, 2.30 GAA, .917 save percentage — but some contend that, after his first full tour through the NHL, opponents “figured him out” in 2011-12.
(Inability to seal the post, rebound control and problems on breakaways among the chief weaknesses.)
That said, Bowman doesn’t think his conversations with Brodeur undermine Crawford.
“It’s just like talking to Zach Parise or Ryan Suter. It doesn’t really disparage your crop of defensemen or forwards,” he explained. “I don’t think you would be doing you job if you didn’t talk to them.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)