Jul 6, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Columbus isn’t exactly the best of franchise’s to play for right now. They had by far the worst record in the NHL last season and their best player, Rick Nash, wants out. Still, as Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports, Foligno thinks the Blue Jackets can rebound before his latest contract expires.
“To me, the three years gives us some time to build it up here and really become a good team,” Foligno said. “I know they don’t want to wait three years. They want to be good this coming season, right away. I know what it’s like, in Ottawa, to be picked as the last-place team and really surprise some people. It can happen. But three years gives us time to see it through. To work hard toward a goal of being a really good team.”
The situation in Columbus isn’t exactly the same as it was in Ottawa, but he’s certainly right that teams can surpass expectations, especially in the salary cap era. Still, unless the Blue Jackets get a very impressive haul for Nash, it’s hard to see them coming even close to competing in 2012-13.
Foligno is projected to serve as a top-six forward with the Blue Jackets after recording a career-high 47 points in 2011-12.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 17
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 12
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 63
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)