Jul 6, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Columbus isn’t exactly the best of franchise’s to play for right now. They had by far the worst record in the NHL last season and their best player, Rick Nash, wants out. Still, as Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports, Foligno thinks the Blue Jackets can rebound before his latest contract expires.
“To me, the three years gives us some time to build it up here and really become a good team,” Foligno said. “I know they don’t want to wait three years. They want to be good this coming season, right away. I know what it’s like, in Ottawa, to be picked as the last-place team and really surprise some people. It can happen. But three years gives us time to see it through. To work hard toward a goal of being a really good team.”
The situation in Columbus isn’t exactly the same as it was in Ottawa, but he’s certainly right that teams can surpass expectations, especially in the salary cap era. Still, unless the Blue Jackets get a very impressive haul for Nash, it’s hard to see them coming even close to competing in 2012-13.
Foligno is projected to serve as a top-six forward with the Blue Jackets after recording a career-high 47 points in 2011-12.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)