Jul 6, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Columbus isn’t exactly the best of franchise’s to play for right now. They had by far the worst record in the NHL last season and their best player, Rick Nash, wants out. Still, as Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports, Foligno thinks the Blue Jackets can rebound before his latest contract expires.
“To me, the three years gives us some time to build it up here and really become a good team,” Foligno said. “I know they don’t want to wait three years. They want to be good this coming season, right away. I know what it’s like, in Ottawa, to be picked as the last-place team and really surprise some people. It can happen. But three years gives us time to see it through. To work hard toward a goal of being a really good team.”
The situation in Columbus isn’t exactly the same as it was in Ottawa, but he’s certainly right that teams can surpass expectations, especially in the salary cap era. Still, unless the Blue Jackets get a very impressive haul for Nash, it’s hard to see them coming even close to competing in 2012-13.
Foligno is projected to serve as a top-six forward with the Blue Jackets after recording a career-high 47 points in 2011-12.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)