Jul 6, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Columbus isn’t exactly the best of franchise’s to play for right now. They had by far the worst record in the NHL last season and their best player, Rick Nash, wants out. Still, as Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports, Foligno thinks the Blue Jackets can rebound before his latest contract expires.
“To me, the three years gives us some time to build it up here and really become a good team,” Foligno said. “I know they don’t want to wait three years. They want to be good this coming season, right away. I know what it’s like, in Ottawa, to be picked as the last-place team and really surprise some people. It can happen. But three years gives us time to see it through. To work hard toward a goal of being a really good team.”
The situation in Columbus isn’t exactly the same as it was in Ottawa, but he’s certainly right that teams can surpass expectations, especially in the salary cap era. Still, unless the Blue Jackets get a very impressive haul for Nash, it’s hard to see them coming even close to competing in 2012-13.
Foligno is projected to serve as a top-six forward with the Blue Jackets after recording a career-high 47 points in 2011-12.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)