Jul 6, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Just how badly did the Colorado Avalanche want free agent winger PA Parenteau?
So badly that they pulled out the big gun to seal the deal.
Adrian Dater of the Denver Post reports that — in addition to offering a four-year, $16 million contract — the Avs got franchise legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Joe Sakic on the blower to sell Parenteau on Colorado.
On Sunday, the formerly overlooked kid in the draft, the supposed career minor-leaguer, received a phone call from Avalanche executive adviser Joe Sakic imploring him to sign on the dotted line.
“That was quite a thrill, getting a call from Mr. Joe Sakic, let me tell you,” said Gilles [Parenteau, PA’s dad], who was sitting at a table with his son at the family home in Quebec.
With Parenteau in the fold, Colorado will be an interesting team to watch. The knock on the 29-year-old winger is his sudden burst in production — 120 points over the last two years — was tied directly to playmaking center John Tavares.
In Colorado, Parenteau will have no shortage of talented middle men to play with. Paul Stastny, Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly represent one of the NHL’s best young collection of centers and they should allow Parenteau to slide up and down the lineup with ease.
“I think that was something that was certainly appealing to him,” Avs GM Sherman told ESPN. “He’s a dynamic player with some skill.”
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)