Jul 6, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Just how badly did the Colorado Avalanche want free agent winger PA Parenteau?
So badly that they pulled out the big gun to seal the deal.
Adrian Dater of the Denver Post reports that — in addition to offering a four-year, $16 million contract — the Avs got franchise legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Joe Sakic on the blower to sell Parenteau on Colorado.
On Sunday, the formerly overlooked kid in the draft, the supposed career minor-leaguer, received a phone call from Avalanche executive adviser Joe Sakic imploring him to sign on the dotted line.
“That was quite a thrill, getting a call from Mr. Joe Sakic, let me tell you,” said Gilles [Parenteau, PA's dad], who was sitting at a table with his son at the family home in Quebec.
With Parenteau in the fold, Colorado will be an interesting team to watch. The knock on the 29-year-old winger is his sudden burst in production — 120 points over the last two years — was tied directly to playmaking center John Tavares.
In Colorado, Parenteau will have no shortage of talented middle men to play with. Paul Stastny, Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly represent one of the NHL’s best young collection of centers and they should allow Parenteau to slide up and down the lineup with ease.
“I think that was something that was certainly appealing to him,” Avs GM Sherman told ESPN. “He’s a dynamic player with some skill.”
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 62
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)