Jul 6, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Just how badly did the Colorado Avalanche want free agent winger PA Parenteau?
So badly that they pulled out the big gun to seal the deal.
Adrian Dater of the Denver Post reports that — in addition to offering a four-year, $16 million contract — the Avs got franchise legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Joe Sakic on the blower to sell Parenteau on Colorado.
On Sunday, the formerly overlooked kid in the draft, the supposed career minor-leaguer, received a phone call from Avalanche executive adviser Joe Sakic imploring him to sign on the dotted line.
“That was quite a thrill, getting a call from Mr. Joe Sakic, let me tell you,” said Gilles [Parenteau, PA’s dad], who was sitting at a table with his son at the family home in Quebec.
With Parenteau in the fold, Colorado will be an interesting team to watch. The knock on the 29-year-old winger is his sudden burst in production — 120 points over the last two years — was tied directly to playmaking center John Tavares.
In Colorado, Parenteau will have no shortage of talented middle men to play with. Paul Stastny, Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly represent one of the NHL’s best young collection of centers and they should allow Parenteau to slide up and down the lineup with ease.
“I think that was something that was certainly appealing to him,” Avs GM Sherman told ESPN. “He’s a dynamic player with some skill.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)