Jul 6, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Just how badly did the Colorado Avalanche want free agent winger PA Parenteau?
So badly that they pulled out the big gun to seal the deal.
Adrian Dater of the Denver Post reports that — in addition to offering a four-year, $16 million contract — the Avs got franchise legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Joe Sakic on the blower to sell Parenteau on Colorado.
On Sunday, the formerly overlooked kid in the draft, the supposed career minor-leaguer, received a phone call from Avalanche executive adviser Joe Sakic imploring him to sign on the dotted line.
“That was quite a thrill, getting a call from Mr. Joe Sakic, let me tell you,” said Gilles [Parenteau, PA’s dad], who was sitting at a table with his son at the family home in Quebec.
With Parenteau in the fold, Colorado will be an interesting team to watch. The knock on the 29-year-old winger is his sudden burst in production — 120 points over the last two years — was tied directly to playmaking center John Tavares.
In Colorado, Parenteau will have no shortage of talented middle men to play with. Paul Stastny, Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly represent one of the NHL’s best young collection of centers and they should allow Parenteau to slide up and down the lineup with ease.
“I think that was something that was certainly appealing to him,” Avs GM Sherman told ESPN. “He’s a dynamic player with some skill.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)