Jul 6, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Just how badly did the Colorado Avalanche want free agent winger PA Parenteau?
So badly that they pulled out the big gun to seal the deal.
Adrian Dater of the Denver Post reports that — in addition to offering a four-year, $16 million contract — the Avs got franchise legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Joe Sakic on the blower to sell Parenteau on Colorado.
On Sunday, the formerly overlooked kid in the draft, the supposed career minor-leaguer, received a phone call from Avalanche executive adviser Joe Sakic imploring him to sign on the dotted line.
“That was quite a thrill, getting a call from Mr. Joe Sakic, let me tell you,” said Gilles [Parenteau, PA’s dad], who was sitting at a table with his son at the family home in Quebec.
With Parenteau in the fold, Colorado will be an interesting team to watch. The knock on the 29-year-old winger is his sudden burst in production — 120 points over the last two years — was tied directly to playmaking center John Tavares.
In Colorado, Parenteau will have no shortage of talented middle men to play with. Paul Stastny, Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly represent one of the NHL’s best young collection of centers and they should allow Parenteau to slide up and down the lineup with ease.
“I think that was something that was certainly appealing to him,” Avs GM Sherman told ESPN. “He’s a dynamic player with some skill.”
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 11
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)