Jul 5, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
The club did not release the financial terms, but RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports the average annual value will be “a little more than $1 million per season.”
(Nice raise for Perreault, who was making $525,000 last year.)
“This is where I wanted to be,” Perreault told the Washington Times. “This is the team that gave me my first chance, and I really wanted to get a deal done with the Caps and I’m happy to get it done today.”
Perreault, Washington’s sixth-round pick in 2006, posted career highs in almost every significant category last year. He played in 64 games while recording 16G-14A-30PTS, averaging over 12 minutes per night.
A former scoring sensation with Acadie-Bathurst of the QMJHL — he scored 233 points over his final two seasons in junior — Perreault fell out of the rotation in last year’s playoffs, appearing in just four of Washington’s 14 postseason games.
It’ll be curious to see how he fits under new Caps head coach Adam Oates.
Oates is on record saying he doesn’t “see any reason to change” the style Dale Hunter implemented last season, and that works well for Perreault considering last year was his breakout campaign.
If Oates does open things up offensively and employs a more uptempo style, Perreault could benefit as well. He gifted offensively and a talented passer, two qualities that defined Oates during his playing days.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)