Jul 5, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
The club did not release the financial terms, but RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports the average annual value will be “a little more than $1 million per season.”
(Nice raise for Perreault, who was making $525,000 last year.)
“This is where I wanted to be,” Perreault told the Washington Times. “This is the team that gave me my first chance, and I really wanted to get a deal done with the Caps and I’m happy to get it done today.”
Perreault, Washington’s sixth-round pick in 2006, posted career highs in almost every significant category last year. He played in 64 games while recording 16G-14A-30PTS, averaging over 12 minutes per night.
A former scoring sensation with Acadie-Bathurst of the QMJHL — he scored 233 points over his final two seasons in junior — Perreault fell out of the rotation in last year’s playoffs, appearing in just four of Washington’s 14 postseason games.
It’ll be curious to see how he fits under new Caps head coach Adam Oates.
Oates is on record saying he doesn’t “see any reason to change” the style Dale Hunter implemented last season, and that works well for Perreault considering last year was his breakout campaign.
If Oates does open things up offensively and employs a more uptempo style, Perreault could benefit as well. He gifted offensively and a talented passer, two qualities that defined Oates during his playing days.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)