Jul 5, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
The club did not release the financial terms, but RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports the average annual value will be “a little more than $1 million per season.”
(Nice raise for Perreault, who was making $525,000 last year.)
“This is where I wanted to be,” Perreault told the Washington Times. “This is the team that gave me my first chance, and I really wanted to get a deal done with the Caps and I’m happy to get it done today.”
Perreault, Washington’s sixth-round pick in 2006, posted career highs in almost every significant category last year. He played in 64 games while recording 16G-14A-30PTS, averaging over 12 minutes per night.
A former scoring sensation with Acadie-Bathurst of the QMJHL — he scored 233 points over his final two seasons in junior — Perreault fell out of the rotation in last year’s playoffs, appearing in just four of Washington’s 14 postseason games.
It’ll be curious to see how he fits under new Caps head coach Adam Oates.
Oates is on record saying he doesn’t “see any reason to change” the style Dale Hunter implemented last season, and that works well for Perreault considering last year was his breakout campaign.
If Oates does open things up offensively and employs a more uptempo style, Perreault could benefit as well. He gifted offensively and a talented passer, two qualities that defined Oates during his playing days.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 17
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)