Jul 5, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Mikael Backlund will get a great chance to show his stuff next season. The 23-year-old Swedish center has signed a one-year, $725,000 deal with the Flames, the announcement coming in the wake of Olli Jokinen’s departure for Winnipeg.
In a related story, next season might also be Backlund’s last chance to prove his worth with the team that drafted him 24th overall in 2007.
“Mikael has an opportunity to step up and attempt to secure a top two-line center position with our club,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster in a release. “He is a very talented player who skates well, has excellent vision and possesses a strong skill set. As we have discussed with him, Mikael needs to work on his consistency and his focus in order to break through in a top six role and start to define his role on our team. We are excited about the level of competition that should exist in camp this fall and we expect Mikael to be in the thick of those battles.”
Backlund had a tough 2011-12 with just four goals and seven assists in 41 games. He missed the last two months of the season with an arm injury.
Related: Jokinen won’t be back in Calgary
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)