Jul 5, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have added a third Hobey Baker winner to the organization, signing former Colorado forward Kevin Porter.
Terms and dollar amount have not been made public — the news was first released by Porter’s agent, Alec Schall.
(Porter tweeted on Wednesday he’d be flying to Buffalo today.)
Porter, 26, has spent the last three seasons in Colorado with mixed results. He had a career year in 2010-11 — 74 games played, 14G-11A-25PTS, 13:49 average ice time — but saw his role diminish last year after appearing in just 35 contests, registering a mere seven points.
A former standout at the University of Michigan, Porter won the Hobey Baker in 2008 by beating out Boston College’s Nathan Gerbe (his new teammate in Buffalo, oddly enough) and Miami of Ohio’s Ryan Jones, now with the Edmonton Oilers.
Of note: Porter’s claim to (in)fame last year was going knee-on-knee with Vancouver’s David Booth. The end result was Booth missing six weeks with a sprained MCL and Porter being suspended four games…
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)