Jul 5, 2012, 4:41 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have added a third Hobey Baker winner to the organization, signing former Colorado forward Kevin Porter.
Terms and dollar amount have not been made public — the news was first released by Porter’s agent, Alec Schall.
(Porter tweeted on Wednesday he’d be flying to Buffalo today.)
Porter, 26, has spent the last three seasons in Colorado with mixed results. He had a career year in 2010-11 — 74 games played, 14G-11A-25PTS, 13:49 average ice time — but saw his role diminish last year after appearing in just 35 contests, registering a mere seven points.
A former standout at the University of Michigan, Porter won the Hobey Baker in 2008 by beating out Boston College’s Nathan Gerbe (his new teammate in Buffalo, oddly enough) and Miami of Ohio’s Ryan Jones, now with the Edmonton Oilers.
Of note: Porter’s claim to (in)fame last year was going knee-on-knee with Vancouver’s David Booth. The end result was Booth missing six weeks with a sprained MCL and Porter being suspended four games…
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)