Jul 5, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Undeterred after losing out on Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, the Philadelphia Flyers inked a pair of lower profile free agents on Thursday, agreeing to terms with former Rangers forward Ruslan Fedotenko and ex-Tampa Bay blueliner Bruno Gervais.
Fedotenko agreed to a one-year deal worth $1.75 million while Gervais inked a two-year contract worth $1.65 million ($825,000 per season.)
Fedotenko, 33, returns to the city where he began his career in 2000. The Ukrainian winger spent two years in Philadelphia before playing for the Lightning, Islanders, Penguins and Rangers. He won Stanley Cups in both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh.
“Ruslan is a good two-way forward that can play either wing and will bring experience and depth to our forward group,” said Flyers GM Paul Holmgren.
Gervais, 27, spent last year with the Lightning after starting his career with the Islanders. His best stretch of play came during a two year span between 2008-10 when he appeared in 140 contest, scoring 6G-30A-26PTS while averaging over 20 minutes a night.
It’s quite possible Gervais was talked up to Flyers brass by his new teammate and good friend, Max Talbot. The two grew up together in Quebec and played together on the same minor hockey team when they were 11 years old — Talbot says Gervais is “like a brother to me” and feels “blessed to have him and his family in my life.”
Gervais, a right-handed shot, should fit into a Philly blueline that’s in need of depth. Only six players are currently in the mix for next season — Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Andrej Meszaros, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Andreas Lilja — and of them, only Schenn is a righty.
“Bruno is a right-handed shot defenseman that has over 300 games experience in the league,” said Holmgren. “We feel both these players solidify our team.”
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 13
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 62
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming