Jul 5, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Undeterred after losing out on Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, the Philadelphia Flyers inked a pair of lower profile free agents on Thursday, agreeing to terms with former Rangers forward Ruslan Fedotenko and ex-Tampa Bay blueliner Bruno Gervais.
Fedotenko agreed to a one-year deal worth $1.75 million while Gervais inked a two-year contract worth $1.65 million ($825,000 per season.)
Fedotenko, 33, returns to the city where he began his career in 2000. The Ukrainian winger spent two years in Philadelphia before playing for the Lightning, Islanders, Penguins and Rangers. He won Stanley Cups in both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh.
“Ruslan is a good two-way forward that can play either wing and will bring experience and depth to our forward group,” said Flyers GM Paul Holmgren.
Gervais, 27, spent last year with the Lightning after starting his career with the Islanders. His best stretch of play came during a two year span between 2008-10 when he appeared in 140 contest, scoring 6G-30A-26PTS while averaging over 20 minutes a night.
It’s quite possible Gervais was talked up to Flyers brass by his new teammate and good friend, Max Talbot. The two grew up together in Quebec and played together on the same minor hockey team when they were 11 years old — Talbot says Gervais is “like a brother to me” and feels “blessed to have him and his family in my life.”
Gervais, a right-handed shot, should fit into a Philly blueline that’s in need of depth. Only six players are currently in the mix for next season — Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Andrej Meszaros, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Andreas Lilja — and of them, only Schenn is a righty.
“Bruno is a right-handed shot defenseman that has over 300 games experience in the league,” said Holmgren. “We feel both these players solidify our team.”
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)