Jul 5, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
Undeterred after losing out on Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, the Philadelphia Flyers inked a pair of lower profile free agents on Thursday, agreeing to terms with former Rangers forward Ruslan Fedotenko and ex-Tampa Bay blueliner Bruno Gervais.
Fedotenko agreed to a one-year deal worth $1.75 million while Gervais inked a two-year contract worth $1.65 million ($825,000 per season.)
Fedotenko, 33, returns to the city where he began his career in 2000. The Ukrainian winger spent two years in Philadelphia before playing for the Lightning, Islanders, Penguins and Rangers. He won Stanley Cups in both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh.
“Ruslan is a good two-way forward that can play either wing and will bring experience and depth to our forward group,” said Flyers GM Paul Holmgren.
Gervais, 27, spent last year with the Lightning after starting his career with the Islanders. His best stretch of play came during a two year span between 2008-10 when he appeared in 140 contest, scoring 6G-30A-26PTS while averaging over 20 minutes a night.
It’s quite possible Gervais was talked up to Flyers brass by his new teammate and good friend, Max Talbot. The two grew up together in Quebec and played together on the same minor hockey team when they were 11 years old — Talbot says Gervais is “like a brother to me” and feels “blessed to have him and his family in my life.”
Gervais, a right-handed shot, should fit into a Philly blueline that’s in need of depth. Only six players are currently in the mix for next season — Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Andrej Meszaros, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Andreas Lilja — and of them, only Schenn is a righty.
“Bruno is a right-handed shot defenseman that has over 300 games experience in the league,” said Holmgren. “We feel both these players solidify our team.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)