Jul 5, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
The massive investments in Zach Parise and Ryan Suter are already paying dividends for the Minnesota Wild. As reported by the Star-Tribune, the club sold 500 season tickets in the two hours following yesterday’s big news. By the end of the day, it was up to 700.
“With the exception of the day the franchise was granted — and I’ve been here since then — no day matches up to this,” Wild COO Matt Majka said. “We’re enjoying every minute of this.”
Until yesterday, ticket sales had been a challenge. The club’s seen attendance dip the past two seasons as the team continued to struggle on the ice. In September of 2010, the Wild’s 409-game sellout streak officially ended. (We say officially because it unofficially ended before that.)
In 2011-12, the Wild’s average crowd of 17,772 ranked No. 16 in the NHL.
Presumably there won’t be many unsold seats at Xcel Energy Center this season. In fact, there probably won’t be any. And if the Wild can make the playoffs for the first time since 2007-08, that’s more ticket revenue for the coffers. Make it past the first round for the first time since 2002-03, even better.
Whether guaranteeing $196 million to two players will pay off in the end, we’ll have to wait and see. But if you have to spend money to make money, the Wild’s halfway there.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)