Jul 5, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune reports that Minnesota Twins star catcher Joe Mauer and manager Ron Gardenhire participated in the recruitment video sent to Parise. However, this wasn’t a simple courtesy cameo.
Well before Parise became a free agent, Gardenhire had a signed photo of the former-Devils captain on his Target Field bulletin board. Parise has also joined the Twins for batting practice a couple times over the years and met Mauer in the process.
Gardenhire offered Parise “18,000 rounds of batting practice” if he signed with the Wild, along with a $5 bill that he displayed on camera. Somehow, we don’t think Parise will take the money, but now that he’s signed with his hometown team, he’ll probably be spending significantly more time with the Twins.
That should make Gardenhire happy. Maybe Parise will even sign a new picture of him wearing a Wild jersey to replace the outdated one that Gardenhire has.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)