Jul 5, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune reports that Minnesota Twins star catcher Joe Mauer and manager Ron Gardenhire participated in the recruitment video sent to Parise. However, this wasn’t a simple courtesy cameo.
Well before Parise became a free agent, Gardenhire had a signed photo of the former-Devils captain on his Target Field bulletin board. Parise has also joined the Twins for batting practice a couple times over the years and met Mauer in the process.
Gardenhire offered Parise “18,000 rounds of batting practice” if he signed with the Wild, along with a $5 bill that he displayed on camera. Somehow, we don’t think Parise will take the money, but now that he’s signed with his hometown team, he’ll probably be spending significantly more time with the Twins.
That should make Gardenhire happy. Maybe Parise will even sign a new picture of him wearing a Wild jersey to replace the outdated one that Gardenhire has.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5