Jul 5, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have gone through quite a few changes as they transition from Dale Hunter to Adam Oates behind the bench. Still, GM George McPhee decided to bring back one of Hunter’s favorites; the Capitals re-signed Jay Beagle to a three-year contract that Stephen Whyno reports is worth $2.7 million overall.
Mike Vogl reports that he’ll get $700K in 2012-13 and then $1 million in the following two seasons, salary-wise.
Beagle’s excellent faceoff winning percentage (57.7) and steady defensive play – along with all the dog puns that come with his last name – made him a favorite in many circles. As I mentioned, Hunter was one of his biggest fans, giving him 18:25 minutes per game during the 2012 playoffs. (There were times when Beagle received more ice time than Alexander Semin and Alex Ovechkin.)
Beagle won’t light up the scoreboard, but he’s the kind of guy who can inhibit other teams from doing so. At $900K per year, his return is easy to trumpet.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)