Jul 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EST
The 2013 NHL Draft has long been pegged as a favorite among scouts. The class is projected to be loaded with talent and, according to Mike Morreale of NHL.com, potentially on par with the star-studded draft of 2003.
With that in mind, Dan Marr — Director of Central Scouting — has announced two things:
One, his group has revised the grading system for “A List” players.
Two, the 2013 class has a number of them.
“In the past, an ‘A List’ player was considered among the top 60 and a ‘B List’ player was a third-, fourth-, or fifth-round consideration,” Marr told NHL.com. “Now an ‘A List’ player is first-round consideration … a top 30 candidate, while a ‘B List’ player is a second- or third-round candidate.
“We’ve put more of an emphasis differentiating the top end. When we ran this by the scouting directors, it was something that was unanimous, so we agreed to revise the rankings scale.”
The 2013 class has 36 prospects classified as “A List” players. Topping the list are Nathan MacKinnon of QMHJL Halifax and Seth Jones — son of former NBAer Popeye Jones — of WHL Portland.
MacKinnon finished last season with 31G-47A-78PTS and a plus-11 rating, coming in second to Mikhail Grigorenko of the Quebec Remparts as the QMJHL Rookie of the Year.
Jones — a 6-foot-4, 205-pound defenseman — played with the US National Team Development Program and helped the U.S. win its fourth straight gold medal at the 2012 IIHF World Under-18s.
Other noteworthy names include OHL London center Max Domi (son of Tie) and Kerby Rychel (son of Warren).
What’s more, the 2013 Draft will take place in the Prudential Center, home of the New Jersey Devils.
Ross Olsson, RW, Williston Northampton
ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE
Jason Dickinson, C, Guelph
Max Domi, C, London
Spencer Martin, G, Mississauga
Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa
Kerby Rychel, LW, Windsor
Ryan Hartman, RW, Plymouth
QUEBEC MAJOR JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
William Carrier, C, Cape Breton
Anthony Duclair, LW, Quebec
Adam Erne, LW, Quebec
Zachary Fucale, G, Halifax
Nathan MacKinnon, RW, Halifax
Anthony Mantha, LW, Val-D’Or
Samuel Morin, D, Rimouski
UNITED STATES HOCKEY LEAGUE
J.T. Compher, LW, USA U-18
Michael Downing, D, Dubuque
Luke Johnson, C, Lincoln
Ian McCoshen, D, Waterloo
WESTERN HOCKEY LEAGUE
Seth Jones, D, Portland
Morgan Klimchuk, LW, Regina
Curtis Lazar, C, Edmonton
Joshua Morrissey, D, Prince Albert
Ryan Pulock, D, Brandon
Hunter Shinkaruk, C, Medicine Hat
Shea Theodore, D, Seattle
Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara
Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS
Ville Husso, G, HIFK Jr.
Juuso Ikonen, LW, Blues Jr.
Valeri Nichushkin, RW, Chelyabinsk 2
Bogdan Yakimov, C, Nizhnekamsk 2
Andre Burakowsky, LW, Malmo Jr.
Jacob DeLaRose, C, Leksand Jr.
Robert Hagg, D, Modo Jr.
Elias Lindholm, C, Brynas Jr.
Lucas Wallmark, RW, Skelleftea Jr.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)