Jul 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EST
The 2013 NHL Draft has long been pegged as a favorite among scouts. The class is projected to be loaded with talent and, according to Mike Morreale of NHL.com, potentially on par with the star-studded draft of 2003.
With that in mind, Dan Marr — Director of Central Scouting — has announced two things:
One, his group has revised the grading system for “A List” players.
Two, the 2013 class has a number of them.
“In the past, an ‘A List’ player was considered among the top 60 and a ‘B List’ player was a third-, fourth-, or fifth-round consideration,” Marr told NHL.com. “Now an ‘A List’ player is first-round consideration … a top 30 candidate, while a ‘B List’ player is a second- or third-round candidate.
“We’ve put more of an emphasis differentiating the top end. When we ran this by the scouting directors, it was something that was unanimous, so we agreed to revise the rankings scale.”
The 2013 class has 36 prospects classified as “A List” players. Topping the list are Nathan MacKinnon of QMHJL Halifax and Seth Jones — son of former NBAer Popeye Jones — of WHL Portland.
MacKinnon finished last season with 31G-47A-78PTS and a plus-11 rating, coming in second to Mikhail Grigorenko of the Quebec Remparts as the QMJHL Rookie of the Year.
Jones — a 6-foot-4, 205-pound defenseman — played with the US National Team Development Program and helped the U.S. win its fourth straight gold medal at the 2012 IIHF World Under-18s.
Other noteworthy names include OHL London center Max Domi (son of Tie) and Kerby Rychel (son of Warren).
What’s more, the 2013 Draft will take place in the Prudential Center, home of the New Jersey Devils.
Ross Olsson, RW, Williston Northampton
ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE
Jason Dickinson, C, Guelph
Max Domi, C, London
Spencer Martin, G, Mississauga
Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa
Kerby Rychel, LW, Windsor
Ryan Hartman, RW, Plymouth
QUEBEC MAJOR JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
William Carrier, C, Cape Breton
Anthony Duclair, LW, Quebec
Adam Erne, LW, Quebec
Zachary Fucale, G, Halifax
Nathan MacKinnon, RW, Halifax
Anthony Mantha, LW, Val-D’Or
Samuel Morin, D, Rimouski
UNITED STATES HOCKEY LEAGUE
J.T. Compher, LW, USA U-18
Michael Downing, D, Dubuque
Luke Johnson, C, Lincoln
Ian McCoshen, D, Waterloo
WESTERN HOCKEY LEAGUE
Seth Jones, D, Portland
Morgan Klimchuk, LW, Regina
Curtis Lazar, C, Edmonton
Joshua Morrissey, D, Prince Albert
Ryan Pulock, D, Brandon
Hunter Shinkaruk, C, Medicine Hat
Shea Theodore, D, Seattle
Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara
Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS
Ville Husso, G, HIFK Jr.
Juuso Ikonen, LW, Blues Jr.
Valeri Nichushkin, RW, Chelyabinsk 2
Bogdan Yakimov, C, Nizhnekamsk 2
Andre Burakowsky, LW, Malmo Jr.
Jacob DeLaRose, C, Leksand Jr.
Robert Hagg, D, Modo Jr.
Elias Lindholm, C, Brynas Jr.
Lucas Wallmark, RW, Skelleftea Jr.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)