Jul 5, 2012, 1:25 PM EST
Barch, 32, spent last season between Dallas and Florida, playing in 51 games while recording 2G-3A-5PTS and 81 penalty minutes. He also racked up 12 fighting majors, one of which came — ironically enough — against his new Devils teammate, Cam Janssen:
In this context, the signing is actually quite amusing because Barch and Janssen have been going after each other for years. They’ve fought seven times over the course of four seasons, most of which occurred while Barch was in Dallas and Janssen in St. Louis.
Now — if you’re wondering where you recognize Barch’s name from, it’s probably in relation to the “incident” he had with Montreal’s PK Subban last season. Barch was accused of uttering a racial slur at Subban by asking if the Habs blueliner had “slipped on a banana peel” after falling to the ice.
Barch insisted it was “nowhere along the lines of a racial slur” yet the NHL still chose to suspend him for a game.
“Mr. Barch has admitted making the remark, but denies that the comment was racially motivated,” said Colin Campbell, Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations. “While we accept Mr. Barch’s assertion, as a player in the National Hockey League, he must be held accountable for making a comment that, in the context in which it was made, and in light of the entirety of the circumstances, was offensive and unacceptable.”
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8