Jul 5, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
Barch, 32, spent last season between Dallas and Florida, playing in 51 games while recording 2G-3A-5PTS and 81 penalty minutes. He also racked up 12 fighting majors, one of which came — ironically enough — against his new Devils teammate, Cam Janssen:
In this context, the signing is actually quite amusing because Barch and Janssen have been going after each other for years. They’ve fought seven times over the course of four seasons, most of which occurred while Barch was in Dallas and Janssen in St. Louis.
Now — if you’re wondering where you recognize Barch’s name from, it’s probably in relation to the “incident” he had with Montreal’s PK Subban last season. Barch was accused of uttering a racial slur at Subban by asking if the Habs blueliner had “slipped on a banana peel” after falling to the ice.
Barch insisted it was “nowhere along the lines of a racial slur” yet the NHL still chose to suspend him for a game.
“Mr. Barch has admitted making the remark, but denies that the comment was racially motivated,” said Colin Campbell, Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations. “While we accept Mr. Barch’s assertion, as a player in the National Hockey League, he must be held accountable for making a comment that, in the context in which it was made, and in light of the entirety of the circumstances, was offensive and unacceptable.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)