Jul 5, 2012, 7:16 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues wrapped up one of their budding star forwards who would have hit salary arbitration thanks to David Perron‘s four-year deal. They still have some work to do to make sure that T.J. Oshie doesn’t hit that awkward process, but GM Doug Armstrong seems determined to sign Oshie, as he told Jeremy Rutherford.
“Obviously we’re hoping to be able to work out a contract with him. We have had dialogue. I think the good thing for all Blues fans is to realize that everyone will be in training camp now and there will be no contract holdouts,” Armstrong said. “Our goal is to work out a long-term deal. We think that he showed us last year that he’s a very good NHL player.”
If he actually does hit arbitration – not a single player did last summer – it might be tough to really gauge his value. He registered career-highs in games played (80), goals (19), assists (35), points (54) and time on ice per game (19:32) last season. Still, he’s never scored 20 goals and doesn’t have boffo numbers, so the question is: how much higher is his ceiling?
Chances are, the Blues and Oshie’s agent will determine his value instead of a mediator. Salary arbitration can be a very uncomfortable and contentious experience, which is probably not the ideal scenario for a rising team and a promising 25-year-old forward.
How much do you think Oshie is worth?
- Kronwalled: Red Wings defenseman levels Lightning’s Kucherov 4
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 7
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)