Jul 4, 2012, 11:49 PM EDT
“We got there and the reports are pretty accurate,” Leipold said. “The Red Wings plane was there and they were before us so we were very, very nervous about that. But it was good to see him, for him to see us, for us to talk to Ryan about what we wanted to do, what we were building.
“He kind of knew everything anyway because he had paid a lot of attention to it. He was even, we were talking to him, and he’s text messaging Zach and it was really at that point that (we knew) we’re going to drive this deal and we’re going to make this thing happen. Within two hours it really kind of came together.”
Follow the link for more interesting, inside talk from Leipold about what the negotiations were like.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 7
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 32
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6