Jul 4, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
Breaking up is hard to do.
Especially via phone.
That’s what former Predators defenseman Ryan Suter learned today upon calling Nashville GM David Poile and telling him that, after seven season with the organization, he was taking his talents to Minnesota.
“I talked to David this morning, and it was the the toughest phone call I’ve ever had to make in my life,” Suter said via conference call. “It was so hard to make that [call]. David’s done so much for me and there’s such a first class operation in Nashville — and it starts with David Poile.”
Suter said he also spoke with his defensive running mate in Nashville, Shea Weber.
“I spoke with Shea after I talked to David and told him I’d decided to move on from Nashville,” he said. “He was happy for me. He understood. He said ‘you have to do what’s best for you’ and he wished me nothing but the best of luck.”
Expect the ramifications of Suter’s decision to linger for quite some time. Poile sounded extremely disappointed in his conference call and there’s genuine concern Suter’s exodus has paved Weber’s path out of Nashville as well.
One has to wonder if Poile might take a different approach with Weber, even though he’s on record wanting to sign the Norris nominee long term. Poile failed to net any significant returns for Suter and Dan Hamhuis (aside from Ryan Parent, who is not significant) and the organization can’t afford a similar body blow.
Think of it this way — Weber finished second in the 2011-12 Norris Trophy voting. Suter finished eighth, Hamhuis finished 10th. Having already lost two of those players for nothing, imagine a world in which Poile loses all three.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)