Jul 4, 2012, 3:39 PM EST
Breaking up is hard to do.
Especially via phone.
That’s what former Predators defenseman Ryan Suter learned today upon calling Nashville GM David Poile and telling him that, after seven season with the organization, he was taking his talents to Minnesota.
“I talked to David this morning, and it was the the toughest phone call I’ve ever had to make in my life,” Suter said via conference call. “It was so hard to make that [call]. David’s done so much for me and there’s such a first class operation in Nashville — and it starts with David Poile.”
Suter said he also spoke with his defensive running mate in Nashville, Shea Weber.
“I spoke with Shea after I talked to David and told him I’d decided to move on from Nashville,” he said. “He was happy for me. He understood. He said ‘you have to do what’s best for you’ and he wished me nothing but the best of luck.”
Expect the ramifications of Suter’s decision to linger for quite some time. Poile sounded extremely disappointed in his conference call and there’s genuine concern Suter’s exodus has paved Weber’s path out of Nashville as well.
One has to wonder if Poile might take a different approach with Weber, even though he’s on record wanting to sign the Norris nominee long term. Poile failed to net any significant returns for Suter and Dan Hamhuis (aside from Ryan Parent, who is not significant) and the organization can’t afford a similar body blow.
Think of it this way — Weber finished second in the 2011-12 Norris Trophy voting. Suter finished eighth, Hamhuis finished 10th. Having already lost two of those players for nothing, imagine a world in which Poile loses all three.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)