Jul 4, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
When Nicklas Lidstrom retired at the end of the season, a massive hole opened up on the Detroit defense that nobody could be expected to fill. However, of all available free-agent defenseman, Ryan Suter had the potential to fill it the most.
That the Red Wings had the cap space to sign the 27-year-old, and it was believed Suter wanted to play close to his home in Wisconsin, made Detroit the favorite to get him. But they didn’t. So, what do they do now? Because they also lost Brad Stuart to San Jose.
Young guys with potential include Jakub Kindl, 25, and Brendan Smith, 23.
All in all, it’s not terrible.
But clearly Wings GM Ken Holland isn’t sold on his current group or he wouldn’t have so aggressively pursued Suter.
UFA defensemen Holland could target include Matt Carle and…Matt Carle.
Looking at the trade market, Jay Bouwmeester could possibly be had from Calgary. The smooth-skating 28-year-old is overpaid by a couple of million bucks, but Detroit has cap space to spare and there’s only two years left on his contract.
Expect to hear Shea Weber’s name in trade speculation as well. Now that the Predators have lost Suter, what are the chances Nashville can keep its captain past July 1, 2013, when he can become an unrestricted free agent? Once GM David Poile stops punching holes in the wall, he’ll have to at least consider moving Weber and start rebuilding (again).
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)