Jul 4, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
When Nicklas Lidstrom retired at the end of the season, a massive hole opened up on the Detroit defense that nobody could be expected to fill. However, of all available free-agent defenseman, Ryan Suter had the potential to fill it the most.
That the Red Wings had the cap space to sign the 27-year-old, and it was believed Suter wanted to play close to his home in Wisconsin, made Detroit the favorite to get him. But they didn’t. So, what do they do now? Because they also lost Brad Stuart to San Jose.
Young guys with potential include Jakub Kindl, 25, and Brendan Smith, 23.
All in all, it’s not terrible.
But clearly Wings GM Ken Holland isn’t sold on his current group or he wouldn’t have so aggressively pursued Suter.
UFA defensemen Holland could target include Matt Carle and…Matt Carle.
Looking at the trade market, Jay Bouwmeester could possibly be had from Calgary. The smooth-skating 28-year-old is overpaid by a couple of million bucks, but Detroit has cap space to spare and there’s only two years left on his contract.
Expect to hear Shea Weber’s name in trade speculation as well. Now that the Predators have lost Suter, what are the chances Nashville can keep its captain past July 1, 2013, when he can become an unrestricted free agent? Once GM David Poile stops punching holes in the wall, he’ll have to at least consider moving Weber and start rebuilding (again).
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)