Jul 4, 2012, 11:10 AM EST
Steve Sullivan‘s long journey through the NHL will include a stop in the desert.
That’s the word out of Phoenix today as the Coyotes have agreed to a one-year, $1.85 million deal with the veteran forward.
Sullivan, who turns 38 on Friday, spent last season in Pittsburgh, scoring 17G-31A-48 points in 79 games while averaging over 15 minutes per night.
Since breaking into the NHL in 1995-96, Sullivan has spent time with the Devils, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Predators and Penguins. The Coyotes will be his sixth club, and he’ll be reunited in Phoenix with former Pittsburgh teammate Zbynek Michalek, acquired by ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney at the NHL Entry Draft.
Known as a solid veteran presence that’s good in the room, Sullivan is just the latest “character” guy to leave the Penguins over the last two seasons, as noted by the Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe. Sullivan follows in the footsteps of Max Talbot (Philadelphia), Arron Asham and Mike Rupp (New York Rangers).
Of note, Sullivan’s $1.85 million salary is a slight bump from the $1.5 he made in Pittsburgh last season.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 0
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 36
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)