Jul 4, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
Steve Sullivan‘s long journey through the NHL will include a stop in the desert.
That’s the word out of Phoenix today as the Coyotes have agreed to a one-year, $1.85 million deal with the veteran forward.
Sullivan, who turns 38 on Friday, spent last season in Pittsburgh, scoring 17G-31A-48 points in 79 games while averaging over 15 minutes per night.
Since breaking into the NHL in 1995-96, Sullivan has spent time with the Devils, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Predators and Penguins. The Coyotes will be his sixth club, and he’ll be reunited in Phoenix with former Pittsburgh teammate Zbynek Michalek, acquired by ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney at the NHL Entry Draft.
Known as a solid veteran presence that’s good in the room, Sullivan is just the latest “character” guy to leave the Penguins over the last two seasons, as noted by the Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe. Sullivan follows in the footsteps of Max Talbot (Philadelphia), Arron Asham and Mike Rupp (New York Rangers).
Of note, Sullivan’s $1.85 million salary is a slight bump from the $1.5 he made in Pittsburgh last season.
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 2
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)