Jul 4, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
Steve Sullivan‘s long journey through the NHL will include a stop in the desert.
That’s the word out of Phoenix today as the Coyotes have agreed to a one-year, $1.85 million deal with the veteran forward.
Sullivan, who turns 38 on Friday, spent last season in Pittsburgh, scoring 17G-31A-48 points in 79 games while averaging over 15 minutes per night.
Since breaking into the NHL in 1995-96, Sullivan has spent time with the Devils, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Predators and Penguins. The Coyotes will be his sixth club, and he’ll be reunited in Phoenix with former Pittsburgh teammate Zbynek Michalek, acquired by ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney at the NHL Entry Draft.
Known as a solid veteran presence that’s good in the room, Sullivan is just the latest “character” guy to leave the Penguins over the last two seasons, as noted by the Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe. Sullivan follows in the footsteps of Max Talbot (Philadelphia), Arron Asham and Mike Rupp (New York Rangers).
Of note, Sullivan’s $1.85 million salary is a slight bump from the $1.5 he made in Pittsburgh last season.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 12
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 49
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)