Jul 4, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
Steve Sullivan‘s long journey through the NHL will include a stop in the desert.
That’s the word out of Phoenix today as the Coyotes have agreed to a one-year, $1.85 million deal with the veteran forward.
Sullivan, who turns 38 on Friday, spent last season in Pittsburgh, scoring 17G-31A-48 points in 79 games while averaging over 15 minutes per night.
Since breaking into the NHL in 1995-96, Sullivan has spent time with the Devils, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Predators and Penguins. The Coyotes will be his sixth club, and he’ll be reunited in Phoenix with former Pittsburgh teammate Zbynek Michalek, acquired by ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney at the NHL Entry Draft.
Known as a solid veteran presence that’s good in the room, Sullivan is just the latest “character” guy to leave the Penguins over the last two seasons, as noted by the Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe. Sullivan follows in the footsteps of Max Talbot (Philadelphia), Arron Asham and Mike Rupp (New York Rangers).
Of note, Sullivan’s $1.85 million salary is a slight bump from the $1.5 he made in Pittsburgh last season.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)