Jul 4, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Brooks also spoke with Terry Bross, Doan’s agent, who suggested there’s something going on with the Blueshirts.
“Shane wants to be forthright and honest with clubs that have contacted us, and so we’ve let these clubs know whether there is mutual interest,” Bross told The Post on Tuesday. “I don’t want to be specific about what teams those are, but there are no restrictions against negotiating with teams in the East…or the one in Manhattan.”
Yesterday, the Rangers inked Taylor Pyatt to a two-year, $3.1 million deal — significant in this context, as Pyatt and Doan were Coyotes teammates for the last three seasons.
Bross has publicly stated Doan, 36, won’t sign anywhere until a clearer picture emerges regarding Phoenix’s future. The situation regarding a lease between the city of Glendale and prospective owner Greg Jamison will be decided next week, with July 9th being the (unofficial) earliest date the veteran winger will start his decision-making process.
Doan is coming off a five-year, $22.75 million contract that carried an annual cap hit of $4.55 million. According to Capgeek.com, the Rangers have roughly $15 million in available cap space.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)