Jul 4, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Brooks also spoke with Terry Bross, Doan’s agent, who suggested there’s something going on with the Blueshirts.
“Shane wants to be forthright and honest with clubs that have contacted us, and so we’ve let these clubs know whether there is mutual interest,” Bross told The Post on Tuesday. “I don’t want to be specific about what teams those are, but there are no restrictions against negotiating with teams in the East…or the one in Manhattan.”
Yesterday, the Rangers inked Taylor Pyatt to a two-year, $3.1 million deal — significant in this context, as Pyatt and Doan were Coyotes teammates for the last three seasons.
Bross has publicly stated Doan, 36, won’t sign anywhere until a clearer picture emerges regarding Phoenix’s future. The situation regarding a lease between the city of Glendale and prospective owner Greg Jamison will be decided next week, with July 9th being the (unofficial) earliest date the veteran winger will start his decision-making process.
Doan is coming off a five-year, $22.75 million contract that carried an annual cap hit of $4.55 million. According to Capgeek.com, the Rangers have roughly $15 million in available cap space.
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 0
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 16
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)