Jul 4, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
Brooks also spoke with Terry Bross, Doan’s agent, who suggested there’s something going on with the Blueshirts.
“Shane wants to be forthright and honest with clubs that have contacted us, and so we’ve let these clubs know whether there is mutual interest,” Bross told The Post on Tuesday. “I don’t want to be specific about what teams those are, but there are no restrictions against negotiating with teams in the East…or the one in Manhattan.”
Yesterday, the Rangers inked Taylor Pyatt to a two-year, $3.1 million deal — significant in this context, as Pyatt and Doan were Coyotes teammates for the last three seasons.
Bross has publicly stated Doan, 36, won’t sign anywhere until a clearer picture emerges regarding Phoenix’s future. The situation regarding a lease between the city of Glendale and prospective owner Greg Jamison will be decided next week, with July 9th being the (unofficial) earliest date the veteran winger will start his decision-making process.
Doan is coming off a five-year, $22.75 million contract that carried an annual cap hit of $4.55 million. According to Capgeek.com, the Rangers have roughly $15 million in available cap space.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)