Jul 4, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Brooks also spoke with Terry Bross, Doan’s agent, who suggested there’s something going on with the Blueshirts.
“Shane wants to be forthright and honest with clubs that have contacted us, and so we’ve let these clubs know whether there is mutual interest,” Bross told The Post on Tuesday. “I don’t want to be specific about what teams those are, but there are no restrictions against negotiating with teams in the East…or the one in Manhattan.”
Yesterday, the Rangers inked Taylor Pyatt to a two-year, $3.1 million deal — significant in this context, as Pyatt and Doan were Coyotes teammates for the last three seasons.
Bross has publicly stated Doan, 36, won’t sign anywhere until a clearer picture emerges regarding Phoenix’s future. The situation regarding a lease between the city of Glendale and prospective owner Greg Jamison will be decided next week, with July 9th being the (unofficial) earliest date the veteran winger will start his decision-making process.
Doan is coming off a five-year, $22.75 million contract that carried an annual cap hit of $4.55 million. According to Capgeek.com, the Rangers have roughly $15 million in available cap space.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)