Jul 4, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Brooks also spoke with Terry Bross, Doan’s agent, who suggested there’s something going on with the Blueshirts.
“Shane wants to be forthright and honest with clubs that have contacted us, and so we’ve let these clubs know whether there is mutual interest,” Bross told The Post on Tuesday. “I don’t want to be specific about what teams those are, but there are no restrictions against negotiating with teams in the East…or the one in Manhattan.”
Yesterday, the Rangers inked Taylor Pyatt to a two-year, $3.1 million deal — significant in this context, as Pyatt and Doan were Coyotes teammates for the last three seasons.
Bross has publicly stated Doan, 36, won’t sign anywhere until a clearer picture emerges regarding Phoenix’s future. The situation regarding a lease between the city of Glendale and prospective owner Greg Jamison will be decided next week, with July 9th being the (unofficial) earliest date the veteran winger will start his decision-making process.
Doan is coming off a five-year, $22.75 million contract that carried an annual cap hit of $4.55 million. According to Capgeek.com, the Rangers have roughly $15 million in available cap space.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)