Jul 4, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
As per Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette — the Penguins are officially out of the Zach Parise sweepstakes.
It’s a big blow for the Pens and GM Ray Shero, who had aggressively cleared the decks in order to make a run at the Devils captain. Shero engineered the Jordan Staal trade at the NHL Entry Draft, then flipped defenseman Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix for a handful of prospects — combined, the deals cleared nearly $9 million in cap space, most of which was projected to go to Parise.
As noted by the Post-Gazette, Parise had been projected as a linemate for Penguins center Sidney Crosby.
The two are friends and ex-Shattuck-St. Mary’s players (though they didn’t actually play together at the Minnesota prep school.)
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)