Jul 4, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
As per Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette — the Penguins are officially out of the Zach Parise sweepstakes.
It’s a big blow for the Pens and GM Ray Shero, who had aggressively cleared the decks in order to make a run at the Devils captain. Shero engineered the Jordan Staal trade at the NHL Entry Draft, then flipped defenseman Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix for a handful of prospects — combined, the deals cleared nearly $9 million in cap space, most of which was projected to go to Parise.
As noted by the Post-Gazette, Parise had been projected as a linemate for Penguins center Sidney Crosby.
The two are friends and ex-Shattuck-St. Mary’s players (though they didn’t actually play together at the Minnesota prep school.)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 49
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (53)