Jul 4, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
As per Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette — the Penguins are officially out of the Zach Parise sweepstakes.
It’s a big blow for the Pens and GM Ray Shero, who had aggressively cleared the decks in order to make a run at the Devils captain. Shero engineered the Jordan Staal trade at the NHL Entry Draft, then flipped defenseman Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix for a handful of prospects — combined, the deals cleared nearly $9 million in cap space, most of which was projected to go to Parise.
As noted by the Post-Gazette, Parise had been projected as a linemate for Penguins center Sidney Crosby.
The two are friends and ex-Shattuck-St. Mary’s players (though they didn’t actually play together at the Minnesota prep school.)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)