Jul 4, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
As per Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette — the Penguins are officially out of the Zach Parise sweepstakes.
It’s a big blow for the Pens and GM Ray Shero, who had aggressively cleared the decks in order to make a run at the Devils captain. Shero engineered the Jordan Staal trade at the NHL Entry Draft, then flipped defenseman Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix for a handful of prospects — combined, the deals cleared nearly $9 million in cap space, most of which was projected to go to Parise.
As noted by the Post-Gazette, Parise had been projected as a linemate for Penguins center Sidney Crosby.
The two are friends and ex-Shattuck-St. Mary’s players (though they didn’t actually play together at the Minnesota prep school.)
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5