Jul 4, 2012, 2:27 PM EST
Apparently Poile was under the impression that, above all, Suter wanted to win, i.e. money wasn’t the biggest factor. So why would the 27-year-old defenseman decide to leave a winning team that’s done everything in its power to prove its commitment to winning? If it was for family reasons, as Suter told Poile, well, that’s not what they discussed all year long.
“I was looking at all my notes yesterday,” Poile said. “Ryan had said when we had a meeting in November with he and (agent) Neil Sheehy, he said at the time that he is not going anywhere else, he is signing with the Nashville Predators.”
Poile called it a “missed opportunity” for Suter to combine with Shea Weber to form the “best defensive pair ever in the National Hockey League history.”
Moving on, Poile is now in the market for another defensemen, be it through a trade or free agency.
More importantly, he’ll turn his focus to Weber and attempt to get his captain to sign a long-term contract with the club.
“We want him to be in Nashville for years to come,” said Poile.
You can download the audio of the conference call here.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)