Jul 4, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
Apparently Poile was under the impression that, above all, Suter wanted to win, i.e. money wasn’t the biggest factor. So why would the 27-year-old defenseman decide to leave a winning team that’s done everything in its power to prove its commitment to winning? If it was for family reasons, as Suter told Poile, well, that’s not what they discussed all year long.
“I was looking at all my notes yesterday,” Poile said. “Ryan had said when we had a meeting in November with he and (agent) Neil Sheehy, he said at the time that he is not going anywhere else, he is signing with the Nashville Predators.”
Poile called it a “missed opportunity” for Suter to combine with Shea Weber to form the “best defensive pair ever in the National Hockey League history.”
Moving on, Poile is now in the market for another defensemen, be it through a trade or free agency.
More importantly, he’ll turn his focus to Weber and attempt to get his captain to sign a long-term contract with the club.
“We want him to be in Nashville for years to come,” said Poile.
You can download the audio of the conference call here.
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)