Jul 4, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
Shortly after announcing the signings of Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, Minnesota held a conference call to introduce its new players to the media.
For Parise, the call culminated a stressful period in which only two real suitors emerged — his new team and his old team.
“It came down between New Jersey and Minnesota,” Parise explained. “It was very hard. I loved playing in New Jersey. First class organization and I can’t say enough about Lou.
“I have great friends in New Jersey and I’m a loyal person. I loved playing there. I told Lou that, too.”
That said, Parise is excited about returning to Minnesota and playing for his hometown team — he’ll be wearing No. 11, in case you were curious.
The 27-year-old was born and raised in Minneapolis, played midget hockey at Shattuck-St. Mary’s (in Faribault) and went to university at nearby North Dakota.
His father, J.P., was a former North Stars player that still lives in the area.
“It was a very big part of it,” Parise said of the prospect of playing at home. “Every kid growing up in Minnesota would love to play with the Wild. That’s the way it is.
“I grew up here and I love coming back here in the summers. I just thought it would be great to be here year round.”
Parise then ended the call to properly embrace summer.
“I’m going right into the lake after this,” he said. “And shutting my phone off.”
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 28
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 87
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)