Jul 4, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
Shortly after announcing the signings of Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, Minnesota held a conference call to introduce its new players to the media.
For Parise, the call culminated a stressful period in which only two real suitors emerged — his new team and his old team.
“It came down between New Jersey and Minnesota,” Parise explained. “It was very hard. I loved playing in New Jersey. First class organization and I can’t say enough about Lou.
“I have great friends in New Jersey and I’m a loyal person. I loved playing there. I told Lou that, too.”
That said, Parise is excited about returning to Minnesota and playing for his hometown team — he’ll be wearing No. 11, in case you were curious.
The 27-year-old was born and raised in Minneapolis, played midget hockey at Shattuck-St. Mary’s (in Faribault) and went to university at nearby North Dakota.
His father, J.P., was a former North Stars player that still lives in the area.
“It was a very big part of it,” Parise said of the prospect of playing at home. “Every kid growing up in Minnesota would love to play with the Wild. That’s the way it is.
“I grew up here and I love coming back here in the summers. I just thought it would be great to be here year round.”
Parise then ended the call to properly embrace summer.
“I’m going right into the lake after this,” he said. “And shutting my phone off.”
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)