Jul 4, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT
A few minor signings to pass your way…
Jets ink Montoya
Montoya, 26, appeared in 31 games for New York last season, posting a 9-11-5 record with a .893 save percentage and 3.10 GAA.
It once looked as though the former sixth overall pick would never get his career on track — the 2010-11 season, that is. An injury to Rick DiPietro and the Dwayne Roloson-to-Tampa trade opened the door for Montoya to appear in 20 games, and he made the most of his opportunity by posting a 9-5-5 record with a .921 save percentage and 2.39 GAA.
Flames sign pair
Calgary continued to be busy this offseason by inking Akim Aliu and Paul Byron to one-year, two-way deals.
Aliu, 23, will be paid $695,000 at the NHL level next season, $105,000 at the AHL level. He made his NHL debut with the Flames last year and shined in a limited body of work — two games, two goals, one assist, 12 penalty minutes and a plus-3 rating.
“Akim made tremendous strides in getting his career development path back on track this past season in Abbotsford and he was rewarded for his hard work by receiving an end-of-season recall to Calgary,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. “In his two games with our Club he showed that he is a very good skater, is willing to play a strong physical game and can also score goals at the NHL level.”
Byron, also 23, appeared in 22 games with Calgary last season scoring 3G-2A-5PTS. He came to the Flames as part of the Robyn Regehr–Chris Butler trade and split time between the NHL and AHL Abbotsford last year. He’ll make $585,000 at the NHL level next season, $105,000 at the AHL.
“Paul was a very valuable depth player for us last season and had a solid playoff-run with Abbotsford,” Feaster said. “Paul looked right at home during his various recalls to Calgary and he demonstrated that he can score goals at the NHL level.”
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)