Jul 4, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
Plenty of teams went after Zach Parise in the last week or so, yet the Chicago Blackhawks’ interest seemed both unexpected and fascinating. Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman addressed the media regarding the Parise sweepstakes, talking to Martin Brodeur and the overall free agent outlook.
Here’s what Bowman said about Praise and making big moves:
“We made a very impressive offer to Zach. It came down to a family decision. You have to respect that,” Bowman said. “Our objective is not to make ‘a splash.’ Our objective is win hockey games. You can’t look past the group we already have.”
Bowman said that missing out on Parise and Ryan Suter won’t stop Chicago from bolstering that already-strong group. He said he’s happy with the team’s goaltending, but had to at least take a look at Brodeur. CSN Chicago’s Chris Boden collected Bowman’s thoughts.
Bowman says #Blackhawks would have been foolish not to check into winningest Goalie/Parise/Suter & doesn’t disparage what team already has.
That’s true, but there’s no denying that goaltending – as in, Corey Crawford – was (and has been) Chicago’s biggest failing. The Blackhawks do indeed have a talented core, but they won a Stanley Cup with depth as well as high-end talent. Bowman still has some work to do to retain that.
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)