Jul 4, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
Plenty of teams went after Zach Parise in the last week or so, yet the Chicago Blackhawks’ interest seemed both unexpected and fascinating. Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman addressed the media regarding the Parise sweepstakes, talking to Martin Brodeur and the overall free agent outlook.
Here’s what Bowman said about Praise and making big moves:
“We made a very impressive offer to Zach. It came down to a family decision. You have to respect that,” Bowman said. “Our objective is not to make ‘a splash.’ Our objective is win hockey games. You can’t look past the group we already have.”
Bowman said that missing out on Parise and Ryan Suter won’t stop Chicago from bolstering that already-strong group. He said he’s happy with the team’s goaltending, but had to at least take a look at Brodeur. CSN Chicago’s Chris Boden collected Bowman’s thoughts.
Bowman says #Blackhawks would have been foolish not to check into winningest Goalie/Parise/Suter & doesn’t disparage what team already has.
That’s true, but there’s no denying that goaltending – as in, Corey Crawford – was (and has been) Chicago’s biggest failing. The Blackhawks do indeed have a talented core, but they won a Stanley Cup with depth as well as high-end talent. Bowman still has some work to do to retain that.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)