Jul 4, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
Plenty of teams went after Zach Parise in the last week or so, yet the Chicago Blackhawks’ interest seemed both unexpected and fascinating. Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman addressed the media regarding the Parise sweepstakes, talking to Martin Brodeur and the overall free agent outlook.
Here’s what Bowman said about Praise and making big moves:
“We made a very impressive offer to Zach. It came down to a family decision. You have to respect that,” Bowman said. “Our objective is not to make ‘a splash.’ Our objective is win hockey games. You can’t look past the group we already have.”
Bowman said that missing out on Parise and Ryan Suter won’t stop Chicago from bolstering that already-strong group. He said he’s happy with the team’s goaltending, but had to at least take a look at Brodeur. CSN Chicago’s Chris Boden collected Bowman’s thoughts.
Bowman says #Blackhawks would have been foolish not to check into winningest Goalie/Parise/Suter & doesn’t disparage what team already has.
That’s true, but there’s no denying that goaltending – as in, Corey Crawford – was (and has been) Chicago’s biggest failing. The Blackhawks do indeed have a talented core, but they won a Stanley Cup with depth as well as high-end talent. Bowman still has some work to do to retain that.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic