Jul 4, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
Plenty of teams went after Zach Parise in the last week or so, yet the Chicago Blackhawks’ interest seemed both unexpected and fascinating. Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman addressed the media regarding the Parise sweepstakes, talking to Martin Brodeur and the overall free agent outlook.
Here’s what Bowman said about Praise and making big moves:
“We made a very impressive offer to Zach. It came down to a family decision. You have to respect that,” Bowman said. “Our objective is not to make ‘a splash.’ Our objective is win hockey games. You can’t look past the group we already have.”
Bowman said that missing out on Parise and Ryan Suter won’t stop Chicago from bolstering that already-strong group. He said he’s happy with the team’s goaltending, but had to at least take a look at Brodeur. CSN Chicago’s Chris Boden collected Bowman’s thoughts.
Bowman says #Blackhawks would have been foolish not to check into winningest Goalie/Parise/Suter & doesn’t disparage what team already has.
That’s true, but there’s no denying that goaltending – as in, Corey Crawford – was (and has been) Chicago’s biggest failing. The Blackhawks do indeed have a talented core, but they won a Stanley Cup with depth as well as high-end talent. Bowman still has some work to do to retain that.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)