Jul 4, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
Plenty of teams went after Zach Parise in the last week or so, yet the Chicago Blackhawks’ interest seemed both unexpected and fascinating. Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman addressed the media regarding the Parise sweepstakes, talking to Martin Brodeur and the overall free agent outlook.
Here’s what Bowman said about Praise and making big moves:
“We made a very impressive offer to Zach. It came down to a family decision. You have to respect that,” Bowman said. “Our objective is not to make ‘a splash.’ Our objective is win hockey games. You can’t look past the group we already have.”
Bowman said that missing out on Parise and Ryan Suter won’t stop Chicago from bolstering that already-strong group. He said he’s happy with the team’s goaltending, but had to at least take a look at Brodeur. CSN Chicago’s Chris Boden collected Bowman’s thoughts.
Bowman says #Blackhawks would have been foolish not to check into winningest Goalie/Parise/Suter & doesn’t disparage what team already has.
That’s true, but there’s no denying that goaltending – as in, Corey Crawford – was (and has been) Chicago’s biggest failing. The Blackhawks do indeed have a talented core, but they won a Stanley Cup with depth as well as high-end talent. Bowman still has some work to do to retain that.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 71
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 19
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 29
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (71)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)