Wild owner, GM, coach met face-to-face with Ryan Suter

Jul 3, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT

Ryan Suter Getty Images

We mentioned earlier that the Red Wings’ contingent allegedly flew to Madison, Wisconsin to meet with Ryan Suter on Tuesday. Well, according to Michael Russo of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune, they weren’t the only group that met with Suter today.

Wild owner Craig Leipold, coach Mike Yeo, and GM Chuck Fletcher reportedly used a private plane to pick up Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy, and then all of them had a face-to-face meeting with the free agent defenseman.

It’s worth noting that it sounds like the Nashville Predators aren’t planning an in-person meeting with Suter.

Those three teams appear to be the frontrunners for Suter’s services at this point, but the Philadelphia Flyers, Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins can’t be entirely ruled out.

For now we’ll just have to wait and see what happens next because it looks like Suter won’t make his decision tonight, and might not sign on Wednesday either.

1. scionofflame - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Poile already had his face-to-face with Ryan back in June, and will probably meet with Ryan to discuss a final offer once he’s had some time to look at the offers from MIN and DET.

• lordfletcher - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I sure hope you understand that Suter is not going back to Nashville.

There is almost a zero percent chance, to be safe, i’ll say .01%

• scionofflame - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

That’s fine if he doesn’t come back. We’ve got a hell of a lot of defensive prospects and can still make trades. It’s not franchise ending. :P

2. 2x2l - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Remember that Leipold was the owner of the Nashville Predators when Suter was drafted and for the first several years of his career. So they probably already know one another pretty well.

• ajinnashville - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Oh, I believe Suter is QUITE familiar with the man who plead poverty as the reason he HAD to sell the Preds in 2007, ordering David Poile to gut the team of stars like Timonen, Hartnell and Vokoun while refusing to even negotiate with impending UFAs Kariya and Forsberg before July 1st (even though both had publicly acknowledged that they wanted to stay in Nashville) to make it “more attractive to buyers.” And the kicker is, Leipold had begun negotiations to purchase the Wild as early as October of 2006, well before the playoffs and well before he announced that he was selling the Preds.

Straight up kinda guy, that Craig Leipold. I know *I’d* wanna play for him…

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I’m gonna go ahead and say that most likely your making some of that up. I would find it hard to believe that all the other 29 owners of franchises would have no idea about that, yet Leipold was approved by the other others by a vote of 29-0. Pretty sure, the other others wouldn’t have approved him buying the Wild IF that was the case.

As far as Forsberg not resigning, maybe the Poile decided he was washed up. After all he played 35 games total in the final 4 years combined. Including 2 in sweden, being coached by his dad.

Maybe Poile, which he has a history of trading the negotating rights to UFA’s knew that Timonen, Hartnell, and Vokoun all wanted to test free agency? Once your that close to free agency, players have no reason or desire to resign without testing it.

3. np2733tornadoes - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You mean the GM who ditched the Preds and Ryan Suter?
    I’m sure he’s fond of Leipold.

4. mnskolvikes - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

How is there even a franchise in Nashville? Good choice on the MN franchise purchase. Looks like Suter and Parise are gonna be playing for MN for the next many years… And with all the young talent coming up for the Wild it could be years and years of stanley cups.

• capesouth - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I’m glad Minnesota has a team. It is shocking to me that there was a time that no team existed there. Having said that, the Wild show zero signs of being a contender anytime soon. I suspect they’ll land someone big this summer but it won’t make them a real contender…

5. mnhockeyfan - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I’d love to see Suter here. The Wild are young and somewhat undersized on the blue line.

Russo seems convinced that Suter only signs here if Parise does first – I don’t know if I agree, and I’m not sure there’s room at forward for Parise and all the prospects in 2-3 years.

These long-term contracts are just crazy, especially for a forward (Parise). I’m a little less concerned for Suter’s health going forward, though ten years is still a little ridiculous.

6. np2733tornadoes - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Last time I checked the wild haven’t made the playoffs for quite a long time…

• spiciercheez - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

What is your point? An 8 seed won the cup this year…

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Because I think of winning I think Nashville, the same Nashville team who has never won a division championship, stanley cup, president’s trophy, or even a conference championship.

The same Nashville Predators who have yet to get past the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Big tradition of winning.

• bellicosejeff - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Preds fan here, I tried to reply yo your post above but it wouldn’t let me so here it goes.

I have no clue if Leopold was negotiating to buy the Wild before the Preds sale was done. I do know that there definitely WAS a fire sale before he sold the team. I don’t know about Forsberg. Poile wanted to bring back Karia, Karia wanted to stay here, Poile was told no. That’s from Karia himself, talked to him at a car dealership that offseason before he eventually signed with the Blues. Believe it if you want, but it’s the truth. Vokoun had signed a 5 year extension earlier that season. He was traded before his NTC kicked in. Harts and Kimmo were trade because they were both due a raise and seeing as we were trying to keep our player budget as low as possible. Re-signing them made no sense.

Oh and let’s not go throwing what a club has or hasn’t accomplished in people’s faces OK. That should go for Preds fans as well. It’s kind of dumb to do that if you ask me. I’m mean do people really get upset about things they have absolutely no input or control over? I don’t, all I’m doing is watching some hockey. Why should any fan be ashamed about what does or doesn’t happen on the ice? We’re fans, we buy tickets, we go to games, we cheer, we boo, and that’s about it. It’s like Wings fans always ready to throw their 11 cups in someone’s face like it matters. “I don’t hang my hat on the accomplishments of other men, nor do I burden their shame.” A saying I live by, that I feel others should too. If they have any self respect that is. I don’t know if someone said it before me. As of now I’m claiming to have made that up.

So there you have it. I’m not here to pick a fight. Best of luck on Suter and to the Wild next season!

7. buffalomafia - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Don’t count Buffalo out either!

• lordfletcher - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM

HAHHAHAHHHAHA!

8. np2733tornadoes - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM

My point is that adding one guy can’t really win a cup for a mediocre team. Goes the same for adding one defenseman; you need two or three GOOD defensive lines to win a cup.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM

IF the Wild sign Parise, they sign Suter.

That would be adding 2 high profile players.

They are also adding Mikael Granlund this year.

That would be 3 GOOD players

9. dkphilly1122 - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I second that NP27. One guy won’t change a below average team just like that. It takes more talent than that.

• lordfletcher - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

they have more talent than you may think… that same group of talent when healthy was leading the league in points mid December, when injured, bottom 3 team. So adding two HUGE pieces, is just that, HUGE! I am not saying they are nearly the most talented team in the league… but they will have enough talent to get in the playoffs and compete… they still can trade for more with future draft picks and a huge prospect list

10. aphoticapex - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

As a Preds fan, I would really hope that Suter resigns. It seems like a pipe dream, but second best would be the Wild. Growing up I’ve always hated the Wings and Flyers, so that makes me wish not them. The Wild are growing and could use the likes of Suter, and possibly Parise too, to set them over the top.

11. np2733tornadoes - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Because when I think of winning I think of Minnesota, who have not been to the playoffs in 5 seasons, and have only been to the playoffs twice in their history.

• lordfletcher - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM

we had one of the worst NHL GM’s for almost a decade in MN. DR drafted horribly with his 1st round picks, it’s not too easy to build an expansion team (since 2000) with that kind of management.

New owner, new GM. You can see a difference and it will show in post season results in due time.

• spiciercheez - Jul 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Actually, they have made it 3 times.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM

And the Western Conference Finals. But since your a Preds fan, I wouldn’t expect you to know that is the round that is after the 2nd round.

12. bellicosejeff - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM

It’s spelled Kariya I know. Just wanted to point that out myself before someone else does.

13. creator69 - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM

This Just in: Hockeyy Insiderr ‏@HockeyyInsiderr
    #CONFIRMED by 2 #NHL sources: Suter has VERBAL agreement with #REDWINGS. 13 year deal. Still tweaking payment allocation.

• pantherpro - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

hey all you yahoos. Didn’t you vote in Jesse Ventura and all-time moron Michelle Bachman? Morons! You’re hockey team sucks too!

SJ Sharkie

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:13 AM

“Your,” you dingus. At least we get that much right.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Michael Russo of the Star Tribune as of 5 minutes ago is still saying the Wild are still in the mix. All Detroit has done is offered 13 years 90 million. My guess is the Wild are around 100 million.

14. broadstbully33 - Jul 4, 2012 at 7:01 AM