Jul 3, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
From Ansar Khan of MLive.com:
A plane registered to Olympia Aviation, LLC, flew to Madison, Wis., this morning and is scheduled to fly back today, according to the Web site, FlightAware.com.
Free-agent defenseman Ryan Suter lives on a farm in Madison, Wis., in the off-season.
The reason this particular (and alleged) visit is being reported?
Aside from the fact we’re all desperate for news, a source told MLive.com that Ilitch and Red Wings advisor Chris Chelios had planned to meet with Suter in Madison on Sunday — but that meeting was cancelled by Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy.
“We all know each other, so there’s nothing meeting face-to-face is going to accomplish, at least initially,” Sheehy told MLive on Saturday. “If Ryan is uncertain, that [meeting] could come into play.”
Ergo, the Wings getting that (alleged) face-to-face meeting could be considered a big development.
It’s also worth noting a MLive source said Detroit’s initial offer to Suter was a 12-year deal worth $90 million, an average annual value of $7.5 million per season.
In terms of cap hit, that would make him the highest-paid defenseman in the NHL.
Also related: The upcoming Parise wedding looks nice
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)