Jul 3, 2012, 3:10 PM EST
From Ansar Khan of MLive.com:
A plane registered to Olympia Aviation, LLC, flew to Madison, Wis., this morning and is scheduled to fly back today, according to the Web site, FlightAware.com.
Free-agent defenseman Ryan Suter lives on a farm in Madison, Wis., in the off-season.
The reason this particular (and alleged) visit is being reported?
Aside from the fact we’re all desperate for news, a source told MLive.com that Ilitch and Red Wings advisor Chris Chelios had planned to meet with Suter in Madison on Sunday — but that meeting was cancelled by Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy.
“We all know each other, so there’s nothing meeting face-to-face is going to accomplish, at least initially,” Sheehy told MLive on Saturday. “If Ryan is uncertain, that [meeting] could come into play.”
Ergo, the Wings getting that (alleged) face-to-face meeting could be considered a big development.
It’s also worth noting a MLive source said Detroit’s initial offer to Suter was a 12-year deal worth $90 million, an average annual value of $7.5 million per season.
In terms of cap hit, that would make him the highest-paid defenseman in the NHL.
Also related: The upcoming Parise wedding looks nice
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 0
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 15
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 8
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)