Jul 3, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
From Ansar Khan of MLive.com:
A plane registered to Olympia Aviation, LLC, flew to Madison, Wis., this morning and is scheduled to fly back today, according to the Web site, FlightAware.com.
Free-agent defenseman Ryan Suter lives on a farm in Madison, Wis., in the off-season.
The reason this particular (and alleged) visit is being reported?
Aside from the fact we’re all desperate for news, a source told MLive.com that Ilitch and Red Wings advisor Chris Chelios had planned to meet with Suter in Madison on Sunday — but that meeting was cancelled by Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy.
“We all know each other, so there’s nothing meeting face-to-face is going to accomplish, at least initially,” Sheehy told MLive on Saturday. “If Ryan is uncertain, that [meeting] could come into play.”
Ergo, the Wings getting that (alleged) face-to-face meeting could be considered a big development.
It’s also worth noting a MLive source said Detroit’s initial offer to Suter was a 12-year deal worth $90 million, an average annual value of $7.5 million per season.
In terms of cap hit, that would make him the highest-paid defenseman in the NHL.
Also related: The upcoming Parise wedding looks nice
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)