Jul 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EST
Amidst all the moaning from media, NHL executives and fans (mostly the media) as Ryan Suter and Zach Parise ponder where to sign their long-term contracts, Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy, is sticking up for his client’s desire to take his time deciding.
Said Sheehy to the Associated Press: “When a young man is asked to commit for 13 years, why is it considered extraordinary to take a few days to make a decision? A deal will happen when it happens.”
And really, it’s hard to argue with that. True, Suter and Parise had plenty of time to think about potential destinations prior to July 1, but maybe one they never seriously considered (Chicago?) has given them reason for pause.
In light of the above, some observers have suggested a week-long window when unrestricted free agents can talk to teams and hear their pitches, but nothing can be signed until the week is up. (Sort of like what Justin Schultz got to do.) That way, there’s less sitting around waiting for a couple of key guys to make their decisions before the rest of the dominoes start to fall.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (141)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)