Jul 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Amidst all the moaning from media, NHL executives and fans (mostly the media) as Ryan Suter and Zach Parise ponder where to sign their long-term contracts, Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy, is sticking up for his client’s desire to take his time deciding.
Said Sheehy to the Associated Press: “When a young man is asked to commit for 13 years, why is it considered extraordinary to take a few days to make a decision? A deal will happen when it happens.”
And really, it’s hard to argue with that. True, Suter and Parise had plenty of time to think about potential destinations prior to July 1, but maybe one they never seriously considered (Chicago?) has given them reason for pause.
In light of the above, some observers have suggested a week-long window when unrestricted free agents can talk to teams and hear their pitches, but nothing can be signed until the week is up. (Sort of like what Justin Schultz got to do.) That way, there’s less sitting around waiting for a couple of key guys to make their decisions before the rest of the dominoes start to fall.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 46
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)