Jul 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Amidst all the moaning from media, NHL executives and fans (mostly the media) as Ryan Suter and Zach Parise ponder where to sign their long-term contracts, Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy, is sticking up for his client’s desire to take his time deciding.
Said Sheehy to the Associated Press: “When a young man is asked to commit for 13 years, why is it considered extraordinary to take a few days to make a decision? A deal will happen when it happens.”
And really, it’s hard to argue with that. True, Suter and Parise had plenty of time to think about potential destinations prior to July 1, but maybe one they never seriously considered (Chicago?) has given them reason for pause.
In light of the above, some observers have suggested a week-long window when unrestricted free agents can talk to teams and hear their pitches, but nothing can be signed until the week is up. (Sort of like what Justin Schultz got to do.) That way, there’s less sitting around waiting for a couple of key guys to make their decisions before the rest of the dominoes start to fall.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 1
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 11
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33