Jul 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EST
Amidst all the moaning from media, NHL executives and fans (mostly the media) as Ryan Suter and Zach Parise ponder where to sign their long-term contracts, Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy, is sticking up for his client’s desire to take his time deciding.
Said Sheehy to the Associated Press: “When a young man is asked to commit for 13 years, why is it considered extraordinary to take a few days to make a decision? A deal will happen when it happens.”
And really, it’s hard to argue with that. True, Suter and Parise had plenty of time to think about potential destinations prior to July 1, but maybe one they never seriously considered (Chicago?) has given them reason for pause.
In light of the above, some observers have suggested a week-long window when unrestricted free agents can talk to teams and hear their pitches, but nothing can be signed until the week is up. (Sort of like what Justin Schultz got to do.) That way, there’s less sitting around waiting for a couple of key guys to make their decisions before the rest of the dominoes start to fall.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)