Jul 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Amidst all the moaning from media, NHL executives and fans (mostly the media) as Ryan Suter and Zach Parise ponder where to sign their long-term contracts, Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy, is sticking up for his client’s desire to take his time deciding.
Said Sheehy to the Associated Press: “When a young man is asked to commit for 13 years, why is it considered extraordinary to take a few days to make a decision? A deal will happen when it happens.”
And really, it’s hard to argue with that. True, Suter and Parise had plenty of time to think about potential destinations prior to July 1, but maybe one they never seriously considered (Chicago?) has given them reason for pause.
In light of the above, some observers have suggested a week-long window when unrestricted free agents can talk to teams and hear their pitches, but nothing can be signed until the week is up. (Sort of like what Justin Schultz got to do.) That way, there’s less sitting around waiting for a couple of key guys to make their decisions before the rest of the dominoes start to fall.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)