Jul 3, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars put a delicious Czech cherry on top of what’s already been an interesting off-season of moves by signing Jaromir Jagr today. Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk held a conference call to discuss the signing, making it clear that he’s ecstatic about the move.
“It’s a great day for the Dallas Stars,” Nieuwendyk said. “We are back as a relevant franchise and we’re pleased with what’s transpired.”
When asked where he expects Jagr to line up, Nieuwendyk was delighted to give an early read on a plum assignment that might just compare to combining with Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell. Nieuwendyk pictures a line with Jamie Benn at center, Loui Eriksson at left wing and Jagr on the right.
Benn and Eriksson don’t get anywhere near the ink that Giroux does, and while the Philadelphia Flyers standout is likely currently the best of the three, both Stars forwards have earned All-Star trips despite slipping under the radar.
Still, if you’ve spent any time on Twitter today, you’ve likely heard plenty of old jokes regarding Nieuwendyk’s moves. Can Jagr still get it done? Nieuwendyk certainly thinks so.
“I don’t think there’s any question that he has game in the tank,” Nieuwendyk said. “He had a terific season last year with Philadelphia … He’s still a world-class player.”
Jagr might put the Stars on the map for a little while, but the team still needs success to bring back fans from the Mike Modano golden days. Otherwise, it’s an awfully expensive way to get “free” publicity.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 2
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)