Jul 3, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars put a delicious Czech cherry on top of what’s already been an interesting off-season of moves by signing Jaromir Jagr today. Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk held a conference call to discuss the signing, making it clear that he’s ecstatic about the move.
“It’s a great day for the Dallas Stars,” Nieuwendyk said. “We are back as a relevant franchise and we’re pleased with what’s transpired.”
When asked where he expects Jagr to line up, Nieuwendyk was delighted to give an early read on a plum assignment that might just compare to combining with Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell. Nieuwendyk pictures a line with Jamie Benn at center, Loui Eriksson at left wing and Jagr on the right.
Benn and Eriksson don’t get anywhere near the ink that Giroux does, and while the Philadelphia Flyers standout is likely currently the best of the three, both Stars forwards have earned All-Star trips despite slipping under the radar.
Still, if you’ve spent any time on Twitter today, you’ve likely heard plenty of old jokes regarding Nieuwendyk’s moves. Can Jagr still get it done? Nieuwendyk certainly thinks so.
“I don’t think there’s any question that he has game in the tank,” Nieuwendyk said. “He had a terific season last year with Philadelphia … He’s still a world-class player.”
Jagr might put the Stars on the map for a little while, but the team still needs success to bring back fans from the Mike Modano golden days. Otherwise, it’s an awfully expensive way to get “free” publicity.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)