Jul 3, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars put a delicious Czech cherry on top of what’s already been an interesting off-season of moves by signing Jaromir Jagr today. Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk held a conference call to discuss the signing, making it clear that he’s ecstatic about the move.
“It’s a great day for the Dallas Stars,” Nieuwendyk said. “We are back as a relevant franchise and we’re pleased with what’s transpired.”
When asked where he expects Jagr to line up, Nieuwendyk was delighted to give an early read on a plum assignment that might just compare to combining with Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell. Nieuwendyk pictures a line with Jamie Benn at center, Loui Eriksson at left wing and Jagr on the right.
Benn and Eriksson don’t get anywhere near the ink that Giroux does, and while the Philadelphia Flyers standout is likely currently the best of the three, both Stars forwards have earned All-Star trips despite slipping under the radar.
Still, if you’ve spent any time on Twitter today, you’ve likely heard plenty of old jokes regarding Nieuwendyk’s moves. Can Jagr still get it done? Nieuwendyk certainly thinks so.
“I don’t think there’s any question that he has game in the tank,” Nieuwendyk said. “He had a terific season last year with Philadelphia … He’s still a world-class player.”
Jagr might put the Stars on the map for a little while, but the team still needs success to bring back fans from the Mike Modano golden days. Otherwise, it’s an awfully expensive way to get “free” publicity.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 3
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 23
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 38
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 16
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games