Jul 3, 2012, 1:57 PM EST
Five years later, the Ducks want to rekindle that style of play.
That appears to be the case after Anaheim went out and got bigger in the early stages of free agency, signing a pair of large-bodied defensemen in Bryan Allen (6-foot-5, 226 pounds) and Sheldon Souray (6-foot-4, 233 pounds).
Mark Whicker of the OC Register figures the pair will “snatch some bodies from the front of Jonas Hiller‘s net and to win the puck scrums they have lost for the past two years,” something Souray re-iterated in speaking with the Anaheim media on Monday.
“Their mantra is to be hard to play against,” Souray said. “I think they want to get back to that.”
While the Ducks did part ways with Parros — he signed with the Panthers on July 1 — their other recent acquisitions suggest a renewed emphasis on size and nastiness.
LW Patrick Maroon (6-4, 225), D Matt Smaby (6-6, 239) and RW Brad Staubitz (30 fights over the last two seasons) have all been brought aboard to make the Ducks tougher, which was one of GM Bob Murray’s goals this offseason.
”We attempted to get bigger and stronger on the back end, and I think we accomplished that,” Murray said. ”We’ve added some character across the team.
“We’ve got a number of young defensemen on our team, and I don’t feel we’ve supported them with enough size and oomph. I said in the middle of last year it wasn’t going to happen again.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)