Jul 3, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
In the aftermath of yesterday’s Derek Roy-for-Steve Ott/Adam Pardy trade, one thing was clear — the Sabres need to add depth down the middle.
Roy was a top-two center in Buffalo and, perhaps most importantly, a veteran presence in the lineup. Tim Connolly and Paul Gaustad also left the Sabres over the last year, leaving the team pretty inexperienced at the position.
Ott can play in the middle — he’s a good faceoff guy — but said “90 percent” of his career has been spent at left wing.
So, what does GM Darcy Regier plan to do?
Here’s John Vogl of the Buffalo News:
The Sabres failed in their attempt to convert Ville Leino from wing to center last season, so finding a natural pivot is paramount. Tyler Ennis and Cody Hodgson head the Sabres’ depth chart in the middle, but they are both only 22 years old and have not faced the pressure of being a No. 1 center.
“We certainly weren’t looking and aren’t going to move Tyler or Cody,” Regier said, “and will have to address, see if we can get a little bigger in the middle to complement those guys. . . . It’s more likely a trade than it is anything else.”
After looking at what’s left on the UFA market, it’s not surprising Regier will entertain some trades. It’s possible the best five remaining centers are Jason Arnott, Daymond Langkow, Kyle Wellwood, Dominic Moore and Jeff Halpern — none of which really fit what Buffalo is looking for.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)