Jul 3, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
In the aftermath of yesterday’s Derek Roy-for-Steve Ott/Adam Pardy trade, one thing was clear — the Sabres need to add depth down the middle.
Roy was a top-two center in Buffalo and, perhaps most importantly, a veteran presence in the lineup. Tim Connolly and Paul Gaustad also left the Sabres over the last year, leaving the team pretty inexperienced at the position.
Ott can play in the middle — he’s a good faceoff guy — but said “90 percent” of his career has been spent at left wing.
So, what does GM Darcy Regier plan to do?
Here’s John Vogl of the Buffalo News:
The Sabres failed in their attempt to convert Ville Leino from wing to center last season, so finding a natural pivot is paramount. Tyler Ennis and Cody Hodgson head the Sabres’ depth chart in the middle, but they are both only 22 years old and have not faced the pressure of being a No. 1 center.
“We certainly weren’t looking and aren’t going to move Tyler or Cody,” Regier said, “and will have to address, see if we can get a little bigger in the middle to complement those guys. . . . It’s more likely a trade than it is anything else.”
After looking at what’s left on the UFA market, it’s not surprising Regier will entertain some trades. It’s possible the best five remaining centers are Jason Arnott, Daymond Langkow, Kyle Wellwood, Dominic Moore and Jeff Halpern — none of which really fit what Buffalo is looking for.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)