Jul 3, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
In the aftermath of yesterday’s Derek Roy-for-Steve Ott/Adam Pardy trade, one thing was clear — the Sabres need to add depth down the middle.
Roy was a top-two center in Buffalo and, perhaps most importantly, a veteran presence in the lineup. Tim Connolly and Paul Gaustad also left the Sabres over the last year, leaving the team pretty inexperienced at the position.
Ott can play in the middle — he’s a good faceoff guy — but said “90 percent” of his career has been spent at left wing.
So, what does GM Darcy Regier plan to do?
Here’s John Vogl of the Buffalo News:
The Sabres failed in their attempt to convert Ville Leino from wing to center last season, so finding a natural pivot is paramount. Tyler Ennis and Cody Hodgson head the Sabres’ depth chart in the middle, but they are both only 22 years old and have not faced the pressure of being a No. 1 center.
“We certainly weren’t looking and aren’t going to move Tyler or Cody,” Regier said, “and will have to address, see if we can get a little bigger in the middle to complement those guys. . . . It’s more likely a trade than it is anything else.”
After looking at what’s left on the UFA market, it’s not surprising Regier will entertain some trades. It’s possible the best five remaining centers are Jason Arnott, Daymond Langkow, Kyle Wellwood, Dominic Moore and Jeff Halpern — none of which really fit what Buffalo is looking for.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)