Jul 3, 2012, 6:06 PM EST
The New York Rangers have again dipped into the free agency pool, signing former Phoenix Coyotes forward Taylor Pyatt to a two-year, $3.1 million deal.
The contract has an average annual value of $1.55 million, a nice bump over the $1 million Pyatt made annually on his last deal.
The 30-year-old had spent the last three seasons in the desert, highlighted by a 2010-11 campaign that saw him score 18 goals and average 15:30 of ice time. Pyatt seemed to fall out of favor last year though, as his goal production was cut in half and his average time on ice dropped to 12:19 per game.
Originally drafted eighth overall in 1999, Pyatt has spent time with the Islanders, Sabres, Canucks and Coyotes during his 11-year career.
The most curious development might not be what this signing means for the Rangers, but rather the Coyotes. Phoenix has now seen Pyatt, Ray Whitney (Dallas) and Adrian Aucoin (Columbus) leave the organization and has yet to come to terms with captain Shane Doan, center Daymond Langkow and defenseman Michal Rozsival.
As it stands, the Coyotes only have 18 players under contract and are nearly $14 million shy of the salary cap floor.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)