Jul 3, 2012, 6:06 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have again dipped into the free agency pool, signing former Phoenix Coyotes forward Taylor Pyatt to a two-year, $3.1 million deal.
The contract has an average annual value of $1.55 million, a nice bump over the $1 million Pyatt made annually on his last deal.
The 30-year-old had spent the last three seasons in the desert, highlighted by a 2010-11 campaign that saw him score 18 goals and average 15:30 of ice time. Pyatt seemed to fall out of favor last year though, as his goal production was cut in half and his average time on ice dropped to 12:19 per game.
Originally drafted eighth overall in 1999, Pyatt has spent time with the Islanders, Sabres, Canucks and Coyotes during his 11-year career.
The most curious development might not be what this signing means for the Rangers, but rather the Coyotes. Phoenix has now seen Pyatt, Ray Whitney (Dallas) and Adrian Aucoin (Columbus) leave the organization and has yet to come to terms with captain Shane Doan, center Daymond Langkow and defenseman Michal Rozsival.
As it stands, the Coyotes only have 18 players under contract and are nearly $14 million shy of the salary cap floor.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)