Jul 3, 2012, 6:06 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have again dipped into the free agency pool, signing former Phoenix Coyotes forward Taylor Pyatt to a two-year, $3.1 million deal.
The contract has an average annual value of $1.55 million, a nice bump over the $1 million Pyatt made annually on his last deal.
The 30-year-old had spent the last three seasons in the desert, highlighted by a 2010-11 campaign that saw him score 18 goals and average 15:30 of ice time. Pyatt seemed to fall out of favor last year though, as his goal production was cut in half and his average time on ice dropped to 12:19 per game.
Originally drafted eighth overall in 1999, Pyatt has spent time with the Islanders, Sabres, Canucks and Coyotes during his 11-year career.
The most curious development might not be what this signing means for the Rangers, but rather the Coyotes. Phoenix has now seen Pyatt, Ray Whitney (Dallas) and Adrian Aucoin (Columbus) leave the organization and has yet to come to terms with captain Shane Doan, center Daymond Langkow and defenseman Michal Rozsival.
As it stands, the Coyotes only have 18 players under contract and are nearly $14 million shy of the salary cap floor.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (48)