Jul 3, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
Johnson, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft by St. Louis, was acquired by Colorado two seasons ago in a blockbuster deal that sent Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk to the Blues. Johnson seemed to grow up and into his game upon reaching Denver and helps make this already cap-friendly deal even better for the Avs.
Taking this deal and matching it up to the two-year contract the Avs signed Matt Duchene to, you have to start wondering if GM Greg Sherman might just be a salary cap wizard or has some magic tricks up his sleeve when it comes to keeping his own guys. That’s a lot of talent signed on for a reasonable number of years and (potentially) below market value.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10