Jul 3, 2012, 11:34 AM EST
Johnson, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft by St. Louis, was acquired by Colorado two seasons ago in a blockbuster deal that sent Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk to the Blues. Johnson seemed to grow up and into his game upon reaching Denver and helps make this already cap-friendly deal even better for the Avs.
Taking this deal and matching it up to the two-year contract the Avs signed Matt Duchene to, you have to start wondering if GM Greg Sherman might just be a salary cap wizard or has some magic tricks up his sleeve when it comes to keeping his own guys. That’s a lot of talent signed on for a reasonable number of years and (potentially) below market value.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 19
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33