Jul 3, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
On Monday, we talked about the Leafs’ interest in Martin Brodeur before he signed with the New Jersey Devils. We also discussed their current goaltending situation and, more specifically, their lack of appealing options.
Well, it isn’t to take the same route as the Columbus Blue Jackets and Tampa Bay Lightning, who added young, promising, and ultimately unproven goaltenders.
“Were not looking at that avenue,” Leafs GM Brian Burke said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young unproven guys. That’s an avenue we’re not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
That’s certainly understandable seeing as the Leafs don’t have a shortage of young and largely unproven goaltenders as it is. James Reimer and Ben Scrivens fit that bill and they might be their netminders going into the 2012-13 campaign.
Burke is interested in upgrading their goaltending “at a reasonable price,” but it’s looking more and more like they won’t be able to make a major change between the pipes unless a goalie that’s currently not being talked about enters the trade market or there’s another twist in the Luongo saga.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)