Jul 3, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
On Monday, we talked about the Leafs’ interest in Martin Brodeur before he signed with the New Jersey Devils. We also discussed their current goaltending situation and, more specifically, their lack of appealing options.
Well, it isn’t to take the same route as the Columbus Blue Jackets and Tampa Bay Lightning, who added young, promising, and ultimately unproven goaltenders.
“Were not looking at that avenue,” Leafs GM Brian Burke said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young unproven guys. That’s an avenue we’re not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
That’s certainly understandable seeing as the Leafs don’t have a shortage of young and largely unproven goaltenders as it is. James Reimer and Ben Scrivens fit that bill and they might be their netminders going into the 2012-13 campaign.
Burke is interested in upgrading their goaltending “at a reasonable price,” but it’s looking more and more like they won’t be able to make a major change between the pipes unless a goalie that’s currently not being talked about enters the trade market or there’s another twist in the Luongo saga.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 15
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)