Jul 3, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
On Monday, we talked about the Leafs’ interest in Martin Brodeur before he signed with the New Jersey Devils. We also discussed their current goaltending situation and, more specifically, their lack of appealing options.
Well, it isn’t to take the same route as the Columbus Blue Jackets and Tampa Bay Lightning, who added young, promising, and ultimately unproven goaltenders.
“Were not looking at that avenue,” Leafs GM Brian Burke said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young unproven guys. That’s an avenue we’re not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
That’s certainly understandable seeing as the Leafs don’t have a shortage of young and largely unproven goaltenders as it is. James Reimer and Ben Scrivens fit that bill and they might be their netminders going into the 2012-13 campaign.
Burke is interested in upgrading their goaltending “at a reasonable price,” but it’s looking more and more like they won’t be able to make a major change between the pipes unless a goalie that’s currently not being talked about enters the trade market or there’s another twist in the Luongo saga.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)