Jul 3, 2012, 7:56 PM EST
On Monday, we talked about the Leafs’ interest in Martin Brodeur before he signed with the New Jersey Devils. We also discussed their current goaltending situation and, more specifically, their lack of appealing options.
Well, it isn’t to take the same route as the Columbus Blue Jackets and Tampa Bay Lightning, who added young, promising, and ultimately unproven goaltenders.
“Were not looking at that avenue,” Leafs GM Brian Burke said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young unproven guys. That’s an avenue we’re not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
That’s certainly understandable seeing as the Leafs don’t have a shortage of young and largely unproven goaltenders as it is. James Reimer and Ben Scrivens fit that bill and they might be their netminders going into the 2012-13 campaign.
Burke is interested in upgrading their goaltending “at a reasonable price,” but it’s looking more and more like they won’t be able to make a major change between the pipes unless a goalie that’s currently not being talked about enters the trade market or there’s another twist in the Luongo saga.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)