Jul 3, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
On Monday, we talked about the Leafs’ interest in Martin Brodeur before he signed with the New Jersey Devils. We also discussed their current goaltending situation and, more specifically, their lack of appealing options.
Well, it isn’t to take the same route as the Columbus Blue Jackets and Tampa Bay Lightning, who added young, promising, and ultimately unproven goaltenders.
“Were not looking at that avenue,” Leafs GM Brian Burke said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young unproven guys. That’s an avenue we’re not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
That’s certainly understandable seeing as the Leafs don’t have a shortage of young and largely unproven goaltenders as it is. James Reimer and Ben Scrivens fit that bill and they might be their netminders going into the 2012-13 campaign.
Burke is interested in upgrading their goaltending “at a reasonable price,” but it’s looking more and more like they won’t be able to make a major change between the pipes unless a goalie that’s currently not being talked about enters the trade market or there’s another twist in the Luongo saga.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)