Jul 3, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
Canadiens fans are excited about having new GM Marc Bergevin trying to turn around their team. One quick way for him to endear himself to the fan base would be to find a way to get Scott Gomez out of town. That day doesn’t appear to be coming soon though.
NHL.com’s Arpon Basu heard from Bergevin during the Habs press conference yesterday, buying out the much-maligned Gomez is not an option for the team.
“He’s a Montreal Canadien, so he’ll come here and we’ll see what happens. But I’m not buying him out.”
Gomez has two years left on his deal with Montreal which comes with a $7.3 million cap hit. He’s got a total of $10 million on the way to him over the next two seasons so a buyout would mean eating a lot of money.
Of course, the other possibility here is Gomez winds up buried in the minors after training camp is over with in September (or whenever it happens, lockout pending). The Habs may be hoping there’s nothing added to the CBA to make such a move impossible.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)