Jul 3, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
Canadiens fans are excited about having new GM Marc Bergevin trying to turn around their team. One quick way for him to endear himself to the fan base would be to find a way to get Scott Gomez out of town. That day doesn’t appear to be coming soon though.
NHL.com’s Arpon Basu heard from Bergevin during the Habs press conference yesterday, buying out the much-maligned Gomez is not an option for the team.
“He’s a Montreal Canadien, so he’ll come here and we’ll see what happens. But I’m not buying him out.”
Gomez has two years left on his deal with Montreal which comes with a $7.3 million cap hit. He’s got a total of $10 million on the way to him over the next two seasons so a buyout would mean eating a lot of money.
Of course, the other possibility here is Gomez winds up buried in the minors after training camp is over with in September (or whenever it happens, lockout pending). The Habs may be hoping there’s nothing added to the CBA to make such a move impossible.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)