Jul 3, 2012, 2:56 PM EST
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis spoke to TEAM 1040 radio this morning in Vancouver to provide an update on Roberto Luongo and the club’s attempts to trade the 33-year-old goalie.
According to Gillis, there’s no shortage of interest out there.
“We talk to teams every day,” said Gillis. “There’s lots of teams that are interested in an all-star goalie, even though some people refuse to believe that, which is stunning to me because great players are so difficult to get.”
But when asked if a deal was inevitable, Gillis wouldn’t commit to anything.
“Maybe, maybe not,” he said. “We have a lot invested in Roberto, and it may or may not come to pass.
“I could get a phone call in 10 minutes with an offer that is something we would have to consider and would consider and see where it went. You may not get one for two weeks and calls that we’re making may not result in what we’re looking for.
“It’s very difficult to make trades in this business, but oftentimes as the framework’s being laid, something happens, something’s inserted, a player’s included, or a player’s excluded, and suddenly you can make a deal.”
It’s believed Luongo’s first choice is a trade to Florida; however, it’s not known if he’d consider other destinations like Toronto or Columbus.
Nor is it known which teams are interested in Luongo, who everyone knows comes attached to a rather lengthy contract.
And if teams are interested, how interested are they? Enough to give up an asset? Or, are they only willing to send a liability (aka a bad contract) back the other way?
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)