Jul 2, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Although it certainly looks like Parise’s planning on waiting until tomorrow to make his decision, even that isn’t set in stone.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe is reporting that Wade Arnott, Parise’s agent, isn’t willing to rule out the possibility of his client signing Monday night.
It’s not entirely clear which teams are still in the running, but the list of contenders likely includes some of the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks.
He’s capable of being a game changer for any of those squads and it would be a major blow to the Devils’ long-term prospects if he decided to take his services elsewhere. They would be losing their team captain and a player who has surpassed the 30-goal mark in five of his seven NHL seasons.
The teams that were unable to get Parise will have to scramble to scoop up what’s left on the free agent market. At this point, that list includes Olli Jokinen, Alexander Semin, Jaromir Jagr, Shane Doan, and Steve Sullivan. Once Parise makes his decision, it’s likely to spark a flurry of secondary signings.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)