Jul 2, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Although it certainly looks like Parise’s planning on waiting until tomorrow to make his decision, even that isn’t set in stone.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe is reporting that Wade Arnott, Parise’s agent, isn’t willing to rule out the possibility of his client signing Monday night.
It’s not entirely clear which teams are still in the running, but the list of contenders likely includes some of the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks.
He’s capable of being a game changer for any of those squads and it would be a major blow to the Devils’ long-term prospects if he decided to take his services elsewhere. They would be losing their team captain and a player who has surpassed the 30-goal mark in five of his seven NHL seasons.
The teams that were unable to get Parise will have to scramble to scoop up what’s left on the free agent market. At this point, that list includes Olli Jokinen, Alexander Semin, Jaromir Jagr, Shane Doan, and Steve Sullivan. Once Parise makes his decision, it’s likely to spark a flurry of secondary signings.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)