Jul 2, 2012, 7:04 PM EST
Although it certainly looks like Parise’s planning on waiting until tomorrow to make his decision, even that isn’t set in stone.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe is reporting that Wade Arnott, Parise’s agent, isn’t willing to rule out the possibility of his client signing Monday night.
It’s not entirely clear which teams are still in the running, but the list of contenders likely includes some of the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks.
He’s capable of being a game changer for any of those squads and it would be a major blow to the Devils’ long-term prospects if he decided to take his services elsewhere. They would be losing their team captain and a player who has surpassed the 30-goal mark in five of his seven NHL seasons.
The teams that were unable to get Parise will have to scramble to scoop up what’s left on the free agent market. At this point, that list includes Olli Jokinen, Alexander Semin, Jaromir Jagr, Shane Doan, and Steve Sullivan. Once Parise makes his decision, it’s likely to spark a flurry of secondary signings.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12