Jul 2, 2012, 7:04 PM EST
Although it certainly looks like Parise’s planning on waiting until tomorrow to make his decision, even that isn’t set in stone.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe is reporting that Wade Arnott, Parise’s agent, isn’t willing to rule out the possibility of his client signing Monday night.
It’s not entirely clear which teams are still in the running, but the list of contenders likely includes some of the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks.
He’s capable of being a game changer for any of those squads and it would be a major blow to the Devils’ long-term prospects if he decided to take his services elsewhere. They would be losing their team captain and a player who has surpassed the 30-goal mark in five of his seven NHL seasons.
The teams that were unable to get Parise will have to scramble to scoop up what’s left on the free agent market. At this point, that list includes Olli Jokinen, Alexander Semin, Jaromir Jagr, Shane Doan, and Steve Sullivan. Once Parise makes his decision, it’s likely to spark a flurry of secondary signings.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)