Jul 2, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Although it certainly looks like Parise’s planning on waiting until tomorrow to make his decision, even that isn’t set in stone.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe is reporting that Wade Arnott, Parise’s agent, isn’t willing to rule out the possibility of his client signing Monday night.
It’s not entirely clear which teams are still in the running, but the list of contenders likely includes some of the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks.
He’s capable of being a game changer for any of those squads and it would be a major blow to the Devils’ long-term prospects if he decided to take his services elsewhere. They would be losing their team captain and a player who has surpassed the 30-goal mark in five of his seven NHL seasons.
The teams that were unable to get Parise will have to scramble to scoop up what’s left on the free agent market. At this point, that list includes Olli Jokinen, Alexander Semin, Jaromir Jagr, Shane Doan, and Steve Sullivan. Once Parise makes his decision, it’s likely to spark a flurry of secondary signings.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)