Jul 2, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
While things mostly worked out for the New York Rangers without Rick Nash last season, their need of a big goal scorer was evident in the playoff — and GM Glen Sather knows it.
The problem is Columbus GM Scott Howson’s asking price is still sky high. Larry Brooks of the New York Post gives up what he’s heard the Jackets want from the Rangers to land Nash.
But from the moment serious discussions between the parties commenced, the Rangers have made it clear they will not include Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider or Derek Stepan in a deal to bring the 28-year-old Nash to Broadway.
Nevertheless, Howson continues to demand that one — and perhaps two — of the three be part of the package in return for Nash, who has a no-move clause and has provided the Blue Jackets with a short list of teams to which he will accept a trade.
These demands are similar to the ones Howson had for New York before the trade deadline. At least he’s consistent in what he’s asking for. Oddly enough, Howson may have an advantage here.
With Zach Parise saying he won’t go to the Rangers and Bobby Ryan getting overtures from the Sabres and Flyers, if the Rangers want a big goal scorer Nash may be their only target. If the Rangers are willing to budge on any of the three players Brooks mentions, perhaps a deal finally gets done.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)