Jul 2, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
While things mostly worked out for the New York Rangers without Rick Nash last season, their need of a big goal scorer was evident in the playoff — and GM Glen Sather knows it.
The problem is Columbus GM Scott Howson’s asking price is still sky high. Larry Brooks of the New York Post gives up what he’s heard the Jackets want from the Rangers to land Nash.
But from the moment serious discussions between the parties commenced, the Rangers have made it clear they will not include Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider or Derek Stepan in a deal to bring the 28-year-old Nash to Broadway.
Nevertheless, Howson continues to demand that one — and perhaps two — of the three be part of the package in return for Nash, who has a no-move clause and has provided the Blue Jackets with a short list of teams to which he will accept a trade.
These demands are similar to the ones Howson had for New York before the trade deadline. At least he’s consistent in what he’s asking for. Oddly enough, Howson may have an advantage here.
With Zach Parise saying he won’t go to the Rangers and Bobby Ryan getting overtures from the Sabres and Flyers, if the Rangers want a big goal scorer Nash may be their only target. If the Rangers are willing to budge on any of the three players Brooks mentions, perhaps a deal finally gets done.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)