Jul 2, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
While things mostly worked out for the New York Rangers without Rick Nash last season, their need of a big goal scorer was evident in the playoff — and GM Glen Sather knows it.
The problem is Columbus GM Scott Howson’s asking price is still sky high. Larry Brooks of the New York Post gives up what he’s heard the Jackets want from the Rangers to land Nash.
But from the moment serious discussions between the parties commenced, the Rangers have made it clear they will not include Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider or Derek Stepan in a deal to bring the 28-year-old Nash to Broadway.
Nevertheless, Howson continues to demand that one — and perhaps two — of the three be part of the package in return for Nash, who has a no-move clause and has provided the Blue Jackets with a short list of teams to which he will accept a trade.
These demands are similar to the ones Howson had for New York before the trade deadline. At least he’s consistent in what he’s asking for. Oddly enough, Howson may have an advantage here.
With Zach Parise saying he won’t go to the Rangers and Bobby Ryan getting overtures from the Sabres and Flyers, if the Rangers want a big goal scorer Nash may be their only target. If the Rangers are willing to budge on any of the three players Brooks mentions, perhaps a deal finally gets done.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 26
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)