Jul 2, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
While things mostly worked out for the New York Rangers without Rick Nash last season, their need of a big goal scorer was evident in the playoff — and GM Glen Sather knows it.
The problem is Columbus GM Scott Howson’s asking price is still sky high. Larry Brooks of the New York Post gives up what he’s heard the Jackets want from the Rangers to land Nash.
But from the moment serious discussions between the parties commenced, the Rangers have made it clear they will not include Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider or Derek Stepan in a deal to bring the 28-year-old Nash to Broadway.
Nevertheless, Howson continues to demand that one — and perhaps two — of the three be part of the package in return for Nash, who has a no-move clause and has provided the Blue Jackets with a short list of teams to which he will accept a trade.
These demands are similar to the ones Howson had for New York before the trade deadline. At least he’s consistent in what he’s asking for. Oddly enough, Howson may have an advantage here.
With Zach Parise saying he won’t go to the Rangers and Bobby Ryan getting overtures from the Sabres and Flyers, if the Rangers want a big goal scorer Nash may be their only target. If the Rangers are willing to budge on any of the three players Brooks mentions, perhaps a deal finally gets done.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)