Jul 2, 2012, 9:55 AM EST
While things mostly worked out for the New York Rangers without Rick Nash last season, their need of a big goal scorer was evident in the playoff — and GM Glen Sather knows it.
The problem is Columbus GM Scott Howson’s asking price is still sky high. Larry Brooks of the New York Post gives up what he’s heard the Jackets want from the Rangers to land Nash.
But from the moment serious discussions between the parties commenced, the Rangers have made it clear they will not include Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider or Derek Stepan in a deal to bring the 28-year-old Nash to Broadway.
Nevertheless, Howson continues to demand that one — and perhaps two — of the three be part of the package in return for Nash, who has a no-move clause and has provided the Blue Jackets with a short list of teams to which he will accept a trade.
These demands are similar to the ones Howson had for New York before the trade deadline. At least he’s consistent in what he’s asking for. Oddly enough, Howson may have an advantage here.
With Zach Parise saying he won’t go to the Rangers and Bobby Ryan getting overtures from the Sabres and Flyers, if the Rangers want a big goal scorer Nash may be their only target. If the Rangers are willing to budge on any of the three players Brooks mentions, perhaps a deal finally gets done.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)