Jul 2, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
As if this story needed another wrinkle, now there’s this bit of news from the Arizona Republic:
Seven candidates vying for seats on the Glendale City Council oppose the current council’s approval of a Phoenix Coyotes deal and made those views clear on Monday.
The candidates, including mayoral contenders Walt Opaska and Jerry Weiers, signed a letter that requested interim City Manager Horatio Skeete delay signing the lease agreement with Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison.
The letter comes amid two potential ballot measures that could cripple the city’s 20-year, $324 million agreement, which the current council approved last month.
One group is gathering signatures to refer the Coyotes deal to the November ballot. Another hopes to reverse the 2.9 percent city sales tax increase and require a citizen vote on any future tax hikes.
Anyway, we’re not going to dedicate too much time to the Coyotes on a big news day like today. We’re not even sure if it’s a big deal. Phoenix Business Journal is also reporting on the story, if you’re bored waiting for Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to make up their minds.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 4
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)