Jul 2, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
As if this story needed another wrinkle, now there’s this bit of news from the Arizona Republic:
Seven candidates vying for seats on the Glendale City Council oppose the current council’s approval of a Phoenix Coyotes deal and made those views clear on Monday.
The candidates, including mayoral contenders Walt Opaska and Jerry Weiers, signed a letter that requested interim City Manager Horatio Skeete delay signing the lease agreement with Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison.
The letter comes amid two potential ballot measures that could cripple the city’s 20-year, $324 million agreement, which the current council approved last month.
One group is gathering signatures to refer the Coyotes deal to the November ballot. Another hopes to reverse the 2.9 percent city sales tax increase and require a citizen vote on any future tax hikes.
Anyway, we’re not going to dedicate too much time to the Coyotes on a big news day like today. We’re not even sure if it’s a big deal. Phoenix Business Journal is also reporting on the story, if you’re bored waiting for Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to make up their minds.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)