Jul 2, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
As if this story needed another wrinkle, now there’s this bit of news from the Arizona Republic:
Seven candidates vying for seats on the Glendale City Council oppose the current council’s approval of a Phoenix Coyotes deal and made those views clear on Monday.
The candidates, including mayoral contenders Walt Opaska and Jerry Weiers, signed a letter that requested interim City Manager Horatio Skeete delay signing the lease agreement with Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison.
The letter comes amid two potential ballot measures that could cripple the city’s 20-year, $324 million agreement, which the current council approved last month.
One group is gathering signatures to refer the Coyotes deal to the November ballot. Another hopes to reverse the 2.9 percent city sales tax increase and require a citizen vote on any future tax hikes.
Anyway, we’re not going to dedicate too much time to the Coyotes on a big news day like today. We’re not even sure if it’s a big deal. Phoenix Business Journal is also reporting on the story, if you’re bored waiting for Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to make up their minds.
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 6
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)