Jul 2, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
As if this story needed another wrinkle, now there’s this bit of news from the Arizona Republic:
Seven candidates vying for seats on the Glendale City Council oppose the current council’s approval of a Phoenix Coyotes deal and made those views clear on Monday.
The candidates, including mayoral contenders Walt Opaska and Jerry Weiers, signed a letter that requested interim City Manager Horatio Skeete delay signing the lease agreement with Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison.
The letter comes amid two potential ballot measures that could cripple the city’s 20-year, $324 million agreement, which the current council approved last month.
One group is gathering signatures to refer the Coyotes deal to the November ballot. Another hopes to reverse the 2.9 percent city sales tax increase and require a citizen vote on any future tax hikes.
Anyway, we’re not going to dedicate too much time to the Coyotes on a big news day like today. We’re not even sure if it’s a big deal. Phoenix Business Journal is also reporting on the story, if you’re bored waiting for Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to make up their minds.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)