Jul 2, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
As if this story needed another wrinkle, now there’s this bit of news from the Arizona Republic:
Seven candidates vying for seats on the Glendale City Council oppose the current council’s approval of a Phoenix Coyotes deal and made those views clear on Monday.
The candidates, including mayoral contenders Walt Opaska and Jerry Weiers, signed a letter that requested interim City Manager Horatio Skeete delay signing the lease agreement with Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison.
The letter comes amid two potential ballot measures that could cripple the city’s 20-year, $324 million agreement, which the current council approved last month.
One group is gathering signatures to refer the Coyotes deal to the November ballot. Another hopes to reverse the 2.9 percent city sales tax increase and require a citizen vote on any future tax hikes.
Anyway, we’re not going to dedicate too much time to the Coyotes on a big news day like today. We’re not even sure if it’s a big deal. Phoenix Business Journal is also reporting on the story, if you’re bored waiting for Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to make up their minds.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)