Jul 2, 2012, 3:54 PM EST
While the rest of the league waits for the Zach Parise/Ryan Suter dominoes to fall, the Calgary Flames seem content to march to the beat of their own drum. That tune apparently amounts to spending surprising amounts of money; Darren Dreger reports that the Flames scooped up hot-and-cold forward Jiri Hudler with a four-year, $16 million contract.
This adds another layer of risk on what is clearly not a rebuild in Calgary. GM Jay Feaster acquired Dennis Wideman for big money and re-upped Blake Comeau, Lee Stempniak and Cory Sarich (among other anti-white flag moves). The Flames now have about $4.26 million in cap space remaining, according to Cap Geek.
Will Hudler live up to his $4 million cap hit? That’s a tough question.
On one hand, he has the talent that left the Detroit Red Wings clamoring during his one-year exodus overseas. When things come together, he can be a dangerous talent. He has two 20-plus goal campaigns to his credit (including 25 goals and 50 points last season).
That being said, he’s frequently described as “frustrating,” which isn’t exactly promising for a Flames team that often doesn’t play to the level of its paychecks. Considering the term and money involved, this is a situation that could go negative – fast.
What do you think, though? Is this a big move for a Flames team that needs a more diverse offensive attack or a risky deal that is likely to blow up in Calgary’s face?
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 12
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 27
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)