Jul 2, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have plenty of cap space, but the Washington Post is reporting that Capitals GM George McPhee doesn’t want to spend it all on the 2012 unrestricted free agent market.
“It’s a very inflated market this summer. There aren’t very many players and there are a lot of teams pursuing the players,” McPhee said. “At some point you start inventing players, making them out to be better than they are and paying more than you should. It’s sometimes best to sit back and stay out of it.”
That’s certainly a fair point, although some of that inflation is probably due to the cap rising and not just because the market wasn’t particularly impressive to begin with.
Either way, the Capitals have parted ways with Dennis Wideman and they’re expected to watch Alexander Semin walk away. Still, they should re-sign restricted free agent defensemen Mike Green and John Carlson. On top of that, the Capitals acquired Mike Ribeiro from the Dallas Stars on June 22.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)