Jul 2, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
Turns out what many pegged as a bluff...really was a bluff.
Brodeur, who hired agent Pat Brisson to wade free agent waters after negotiations with the Devils went south, says he never really intended on leaving the place he’s called home for 20 NHL seasons.
“All I know is New Jersey,” Brodeur told the New York Post. “All my friends are in New Jersey. It was hard that people though I wanted to leave. I didn’t want to do that.”
After signing the deal, Brodeur admitted he hired Brisson largely to squeeze a two-year deal out of the Devils, rather than the one-year they were offering. By getting the Brisson to field offers from around the league, Brodeur put pressure on New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello to tack on the extra year.
More, from The Post:
“A one year deal, I didn’t think was good for me,” Brodeur said. “In the back of my mind, New Jersey was the No. 1 choice, by far, but I talked to two teams, and it was interesting.
“Lou [Lamoriello] made every effort to keep me in New Jersey, tweaking it at our request in different areas on his one-year [offer]. But the big thing to me was the uncertainty of the possible lockout,” Brodeur said.
After receiving two-year offers elsewhere, the Devils made their two-year bid and Brodeur said he agreed late Sunday.
— While unofficial, sounds like Johan Hedberg has found work for next season. The catch? Nobody knows where. The Post reports Hedberg’s “agreed to a free agent deal, although it is uncertain with whom he is signing.” (UPDATE: It’s the Devils.)
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)