Jul 2, 2012, 11:02 AM EST
Turns out what many pegged as a bluff...really was a bluff.
Brodeur, who hired agent Pat Brisson to wade free agent waters after negotiations with the Devils went south, says he never really intended on leaving the place he’s called home for 20 NHL seasons.
“All I know is New Jersey,” Brodeur told the New York Post. “All my friends are in New Jersey. It was hard that people though I wanted to leave. I didn’t want to do that.”
After signing the deal, Brodeur admitted he hired Brisson largely to squeeze a two-year deal out of the Devils, rather than the one-year they were offering. By getting the Brisson to field offers from around the league, Brodeur put pressure on New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello to tack on the extra year.
More, from The Post:
“A one year deal, I didn’t think was good for me,” Brodeur said. “In the back of my mind, New Jersey was the No. 1 choice, by far, but I talked to two teams, and it was interesting.
“Lou [Lamoriello] made every effort to keep me in New Jersey, tweaking it at our request in different areas on his one-year [offer]. But the big thing to me was the uncertainty of the possible lockout,” Brodeur said.
After receiving two-year offers elsewhere, the Devils made their two-year bid and Brodeur said he agreed late Sunday.
– While unofficial, sounds like Johan Hedberg has found work for next season. The catch? Nobody knows where. The Post reports Hedberg’s “agreed to a free agent deal, although it is uncertain with whom he is signing.” (UPDATE: It’s the Devils.)
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 41
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)