Jul 2, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
In speaking with the media prior to free agency, St. Louis Blues GM Doug Armstrong made it clear he was looking to add defensemen.
Specifially, one that’s left-handed (to fill out that side of his blueline) and one that’s more defensively inclined (to pair with Alex Pietrangelo.)
But with so many defensemen snapped up on the opening day of free agency, Armstrong might need to go another route — the trade route, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
The Blues have made inquiries about Ryan Suter, Jason Garrison and Matt Carle. Suter is reportedly not interested in St. Louis, Garrison signed in Vancouver and Carle’s believed to be waiting on what Suter does, positioning himself as “Next Best” for teams that whiff on the Nashville rearguard.
After those three, the UFA defenseman market really thins out — so much that Rutherford actually mentions the name of Toronto’s Jeff Finger, something I haven’t seen in quite some time.
Which brings us to the possibility of a trade. Both Phoenix and Calgary have expensive back ends (gotta be a better way to say that) after acquiring Zbynek Michalek and Dennis Wideman, respectively — moves that have put defensemen Keith Yandle and Jay Bouwmeester on the block.
If Calgary and/or Phoenix want to move their defensemen to acquire more scoring, St. Louis is a viable trade candidate.
More, from Rutherford:
All of which means that teams such as Calgary and Phoenix may have interest in the Blues’ forwards.
They have 14 in the picture: David Backes, Andy McDonald, Alex Steen, T.J. Oshie (restricted free agent), David Perron (restricted free agent), Vladimir Tarasenko, Patrik Berglund, Chris Stewart, Matt D’Agostini, Vladimir Sobotka, Ryan Reaves, B.J. Crombeen, Scott Nichol and Jaden Schwartz.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)