Wings stay busy, sign Tootoo to three-year, $5.7 million deal

Jul 1, 2012, 6:43 PM EST

Jordin Tootoo Getty Images

Get your train whistles out, Red Wings fans. You’ll be needing them.

As per TSN’s Darren Dreger, Detroit has signed former Nashville forward Jordin Tootoo to a three-year, $5.7 million deal ($1.9 million annually.)

It’s a move that raised eyebrows throughout the league. Tootoo had spent the first eight years of his career with Detroit’s heated Central Division rival, the Nashville Predators.

The signing also stirred up some intrigue because, well, Tootoo isn’t your typical Red Wing. A feisty, fiery, cannonball-esque energy guy, Tootoo’s known largely as an agitator — one that tiptoes the line between effectiveness and recklessness.

That said, his play seems to have matured with age (last year’s Ryan Miller incident notwithstanding.)

Overlooked in 2011-12 was the fact Tootoo put up a career-high 24 assists and 30 points while playing over 13 minutes a night. He scored his first power play goal since the lockout, appeared in a career-high 77 games and seemed to be evolving into a versatile player.

It’s possible the Wings groom Tootoo to become a “Grind Liner” in the mold of Kris Draper/Kirk Maltby. The 28-year-old certainly possesses the skating speed and forechecking ability, but will need to add more discipline to his game.

Tootoo’s 725 career penalty minutes over 486 games works out to roughly 122 per 82 contests — that probably won’t fly on a Red Wings team where nobody had more than 65 PIM last season.

1. hines86for6 - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM

that is way too much for Jordin Tootoo.

2. theawesomersfranchise - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Least likely player to be signed by the Wings, is signed by the Wings. Better not take stupid PIM’s under Babcock or that 13 mins per game will drop to about 6 min

3. vshehane - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I guess he wants to be with a team that doesn’t get past the first round. Good luck with that, Toots.

• dmvdmv101560 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

If you’re ever at Joe Louis arena in Detroit look up in the rafters and count all the Stanley Cup banners hanging from them. What team do you root for?

4. johnguelff - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

TOOT TOOT i love it..anyways we as fans of the sport have to realize that 1.9 mil is not the same as it was 3 years ago..the cap went way up so everybodys pay does as well..this is good pay for a 30 point getter

• polegojim - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I like it – we also need a little more toughness, and he brings it.

5. johnguelff - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM

haha butthurt nashville fans are losing players…haha just wait for tomorrow announcement lol..well see who makes it past the first round then lol

• vshehane - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Haha, looks like the wings feel they need Preds players to win.

• m1lla7 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Looks like the preds players don’t even want to stay on that team.

• dmvdmv101560 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

What have the Predators ever done in the playoffs? Have they ever won a Stanley Cup? Now compare that with Detroit’s history – enough said!!

6. buffbry - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I can see the wings now trading quincey cleary kindl and abdelkator for bouwmeester. signing suter and semin and just being under the cap. would look really good like that

• pshanks62 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

stop.

7. hines86for6 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM

resigning buillon was never happening and I’m not going to lose sleep over jordin freaking tootoo who we didn’t even play in the post season.

• johnguelff - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM

but you will when suter leaves..then shortly to follow weber..have fun at the draft party nashville fan

8. crazemastercraze - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM

kinda like the move. after last years round against the preds, they needed to get tougher. the preds exposed them for the wimps they were and used it to their advantage. babcock won’t take any crap from him and force him to play a smarter game.

• vshehane - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

The wimps who sent the Wings back to Detroit with their tails between their legs in the first round?

• m1lla7 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM

lol you act like you won the stanley cup or something.

• kravis63 - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

*Yawns* While I sit back and fondly enjoy the memories of the 4 Stanley Cup celebrations I have seen the Wings have in my lifetime.

I actually gave the Preds a lot of credit this year when they beat the Red Wings in 5 games in the first round. But to listen to a lot of Nashville fans around here you would think the Preds won the Stanley Cup after they beat the Red Wings in the playoffs this year. I get it, it is exciting to finally take down the team that year after year the Preds fans just dream their franchise could be. Until then just enjoy the playoff win you got over the Wings this year and calm down until your franchise actually does more than get to the second round of the playoffs.

9. hines86for6 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM

weber isn’t going anywhere. RFA

• pshanks62 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM

He said next year….awkward…

10. kwall55 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Great signing by Holland after missing out on Prust (who I like better but is def not worth 2.5 a yr). Still wondering where Samuelsson fits on our over crowded roster

11. xaf605 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I guess wings figure if you cant beat em you may as well buy em!

• pshanks62 - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Right…cause Tootoo was the reason the Wings didn’t beat the Preds…silly Preds fans thinking the Red Wings asked themselves at the end of the year “How can we beat the Preds next year?” No they asked themselves “How do we get better?” One of the things had to be “Add grit”

12. zaksyuk - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Well gee maybe if the best available defense-men wasn’t a predator we wouldn’t be targeting a predator but hey i guess having the preds playbook dosent hurt :D

13. bellicosejeff - Jul 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Wait a minute…Detroit has 11 cups? Well how did they lose in the playoffs this last year then? Oh yeah, it’s because the past had absolutely no bearing on those playoffs. Just like it will have no bearing on any future playoffs as well. You play the games in front of you, that’s it. Hey don’t get me wrong it’s definitely something to be proud about. Getting cocky about it and using it as smack talk is pretty sad and only makes those who say it seem like sore losers. For starters, the Wings have been in the league 66 YEARS before the Preds came along. I’m going with 1932 as my start date here as that’s when you all became the Detroit Red Wings. I realize the Wings were a hockey club before then.

Fun fact, The Wings only won 7 cups over 35 years in a 6 team league. We’re only 14 years into our journey, and were supposed to feel ashamed the Preds haven’t won 1 cup over 14 years in 30 team league? Sure, whatever. You all had a 66 year head start!!! Do wings fans go up to kids and heckle them for being younger?

Adult male: “How old is your son?”

Mother of child “He’s 14 years old.”

AM: “Oooh yeeeaaah, you got NOTHING! I got a my high school AND college diploma already. What have you done in life yet? Yeah that’s what I thought.”

Thank you!! I am an inspiring screenwriter. I won’t quit my day job.

Or to make it even more comparable to this situation. The adult male could be bragging about his father’s accomplishments in life to a child. I’m guess NONE of you fans that choose to hold your team’s number of cups wins over other fan’s heads actually played on any of the teams right? If you did by all means, brag away. Otherwise I think the only team’s fan base that should get to brag about winning a cup to other fans is the defending champs. Because that’s the only cup winner that’s even remotely relevant. Once they’re dethroned, it’s over, and the only people who will still care about it are only the fans of the dethroned team. Basically I’m saying congrats on all the cup wins, but we don’t care. The Preds didn’t even exist for 9 of your 11 cups, and we’re just now getting competitive enough to beat a great team like Detroit in the playoffs.

Those are just my thought on it, but do what you like. Best of luck to the Wings next season!

• DED - Jul 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

That would be “aspiring screenwriter.”

• bellicosejeff - Jul 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Damn you’re right, used A wrong word. If that made it impossible to comprehend my post I’ll re-write all of it for you. If not then can we skip the English lesson and get to commenting back or not.

Sorry, that just gets under my skin.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches