Jul 1, 2012, 8:54 PM EST
Michael Russo of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune sources’ say that the Minnesota Wild are on that short list. It sounds like the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, and possibly Philadelphia Flyers have also made the cut.
That list doesn’t really contain any surprises and all of those teams certainly have some appeal to them. If anything, the Wild might seem like the odd team out as they are the only squad on that list that failed to make the playoffs in 2011-12. Of course, Parise is from Minneapolis and might ultimately give in to the allure of playing for his hometown team.
Parise is easily the best forward in the 2012 unrestricted free agent class. After him the next tier of still available free agents includes Alexander Semin, Shane Doan, Olli Jokinen, and Jaromir Jagr. You can throw Teemu Selanne in there too if you think that there’s a chance he’ll do anything other than re-sign with the Anaheim Ducks or retire.
When Parise makes his decision, the losers will probably scramble to try and land one of the remaining top-six caliber forwards left on the market.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)