Jul 1, 2012, 8:54 PM EST
Michael Russo of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune sources’ say that the Minnesota Wild are on that short list. It sounds like the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, and possibly Philadelphia Flyers have also made the cut.
That list doesn’t really contain any surprises and all of those teams certainly have some appeal to them. If anything, the Wild might seem like the odd team out as they are the only squad on that list that failed to make the playoffs in 2011-12. Of course, Parise is from Minneapolis and might ultimately give in to the allure of playing for his hometown team.
Parise is easily the best forward in the 2012 unrestricted free agent class. After him the next tier of still available free agents includes Alexander Semin, Shane Doan, Olli Jokinen, and Jaromir Jagr. You can throw Teemu Selanne in there too if you think that there’s a chance he’ll do anything other than re-sign with the Anaheim Ducks or retire.
When Parise makes his decision, the losers will probably scramble to try and land one of the remaining top-six caliber forwards left on the market.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)