Jul 1, 2012, 8:54 PM EDT
Michael Russo of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune sources’ say that the Minnesota Wild are on that short list. It sounds like the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, and possibly Philadelphia Flyers have also made the cut.
That list doesn’t really contain any surprises and all of those teams certainly have some appeal to them. If anything, the Wild might seem like the odd team out as they are the only squad on that list that failed to make the playoffs in 2011-12. Of course, Parise is from Minneapolis and might ultimately give in to the allure of playing for his hometown team.
Parise is easily the best forward in the 2012 unrestricted free agent class. After him the next tier of still available free agents includes Alexander Semin, Shane Doan, Olli Jokinen, and Jaromir Jagr. You can throw Teemu Selanne in there too if you think that there’s a chance he’ll do anything other than re-sign with the Anaheim Ducks or retire.
When Parise makes his decision, the losers will probably scramble to try and land one of the remaining top-six caliber forwards left on the market.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)