Wild still in the mix for Parise

Jul 1, 2012, 8:54 PM EDT

Zach Parise Getty Images

As we previously reported, Zach Parise isn’t expected to sign tonight. However, he has whittled his options down to a “small select group,” according to his agent, Wade Arnott.

Michael Russo of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune sources’ say that the Minnesota Wild are on that short list. It sounds like the New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, and possibly Philadelphia Flyers have also made the cut.

That list doesn’t really contain any surprises and all of those teams certainly have some appeal to them. If anything, the Wild might seem like the odd team out as they are the only squad on that list that failed to make the playoffs in 2011-12. Of course, Parise is from Minneapolis and might ultimately give in to the allure of playing for his hometown team.

Parise is easily the best forward in the 2012 unrestricted free agent class. After him the next tier of still available free agents includes Alexander Semin, Shane Doan, Olli Jokinen, and Jaromir Jagr. You can throw Teemu Selanne in there too if you think that there’s a chance he’ll do anything other than re-sign with the Anaheim Ducks or retire.

When Parise makes his decision, the losers will probably scramble to try and land one of the remaining top-six caliber forwards left on the market.

1. uncledick - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Minnesota is about as attractive as Maggie Gyllenhaal

2. mclovinhockey - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Hey…. I’ve jerked it to Maggie before……

• uncledick - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I pray you were drunk

• nvandy42 - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

The thumbs up just doesn’t do that comment justice…. hahahahahha!!!

• benjgold12 - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Secretary? me too!

3. uscthom78 - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

e5 rumor says JP’s son going to the Ducks.

4. mclovinhockey - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

FYI my last comment about jerking it to Maggie was a joke, however the wild are his home town team so it gains major interest.

5. sknut - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

And one thing to keep in mind is that the Wild will not be out bid, if this enough to sway him we shall see.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM

It maybe just where I go to get my hockey news, but I hear more whispers about Minnesota rather than anyone else. I think its easy to say the Wild because they present the only known piece of information (if such a thing exists in this scenario): that the Wild will make the largest offer.

With that said you could make a case for any team on the list-
      NJ: familiarity and recent success, and he would be lauded as a hero in NJ if he spurned other offers.
      PIT: friendship with Sid, offers the best line to play on and a very good chance at a cup.
      DET: closer to home, and a decent shot at a cup (although not as good as PIT in my opinion)
      MIN: $$$$$$$$ and hometown.
      LA: cup contenders to be certain.

Should be an interesting morning…

6. mnhockeyfan - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Two depth signings today (Konopka, Mitchell) and baby jesus (Granlund) coming over this summer, along with many prospects at forward.

I’d much rather see them land Suter. Wild couldn’t get out of their own end all year, and are really young and inexperienced on the blue line.

7. greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Sorry, damn iPhone

8. greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Russo’s gut feeling is either both Parise and Suter sign with Minnesota. If Parise chooses Pittsburgh, Suter then goes to Detroit. Any other scenario would be shocking.

• hockeyfan28 - Jul 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Wow the Minneapolis Sportswriters gut feeling is Parise and Suter both sign with the Wild color me shocked that the Minneapolis(what state is that in?) sportswriter is saying the Wild are still in this and that any other result is shocking

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

If you read the whole thing I posted, I also said Suter could end up in Detroit and Parise in Pittsburgh. But hey I understand it’s late at night and you can’t an entire post.

• hockeyfan28 - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I read that part and found it entirely believable but to think a reporter from Minneapolis is going to say anything otherwise is ridiculous

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I said his gut feeling was the 2 senarioes. He’s as plugged in as anybody, so his words are of some relivence.

• jrmehle - Jul 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Careful about calling Mike Russo a homer. He’s one of the best beat writers in the business.

• lordfletcher - Jul 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM

@hockeyfan

. Why is that so hard to believe? And we are talking about the same reporter that is in THIS article…. PHT posts a bunch of quotes / articles from Russo of the StarTrib, he is a very reliable source. MN needs Parise to get Suter, no Parise, no Suter ….

• lordfletcher - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM

To add to Russo’s street cred. He feels that Parise will sign with the Pens because money won’t matter when the difference is $10 million btu who cares once you’re already making $80+ and playing with Crosby / Malkin… he is saying that if Parise signs with the Wild, then yes, suter will follow… but most likely, Parise goes to Pitts…. Man do I hate the Staal trade!!!!! :(

9. purpleguy - Jul 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Tsn insiders say word is that praise is favoring Pitt, big surprise. And while mn may not be attractive now, it will pretty soon.

10. azpackerbacker - Jul 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Everyone has a price. And it appears that no one is willing to pay him more than the Wild. That has to count for something

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:28 AM

The big offer gets them consideration, but that’s probably it. Parise is about to make an obscene amount of money no matter where he signs so the chance to win a Cup will probably be a big part of his decision. The Wild can’t offer him much in terms of winning anything.

11. dhawks19 - Jul 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM

The most logical place for him is Pittsburg so he can play with Crosby but he might want to be the main man on the team he’s going to and he would be #3 on Pittsburg if he went to the wild he’d be their best forward

12. guardgirl128 - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I have been so against Parise coming here it hurts so bad! However for people to say that he would be the “best player” here is dreaming… I already have one in Mikko Koivu who gets over looked! Anyway the speculation needs to end so we can all just move on with our lives! So annoying its not even up to any of us!!!

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Why are you so against the Wild signing Parise? What part of the lowest scoring team in the NHL did you miss? Someone who can put the puck in the net a minimum of 30 times a year is something the Wild need. Badly.

• dhawks19 - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I’m not saying koivu and heatly aren’t good they are they’re just not as good as parise

13. Justin - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I’m hoping he lands with the Wild. They are a pretty good up and coming team

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The way I see it, next year is going to be the first of many good years for the Wild. It’ll only get better once they sign Parise and Suter.

14. icdogg - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I doubt that they will sign either one, but who knows.

15. rgledz - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM

@Hockeyfan28……Michael Russo is one of the best, most informed hockey writers in the country. He’s too much of a professional to just throw out homer takes. If he writes it, he’s got it from a good source and you can believe it. Parise and Suter are good friends. Parise is a Minnesotan and Suter is from Wisconsin so you have to agree that it would be fulfilling for both to play together and bring a cup to Minnesota. That has to factor in to the decision making, you can’t deny that.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I’m shocked you didn’t bring up Suter’s wife is from Bloomington, MN and Parise owns a house in Minnesota. Not that everyone knows that already

• rgledz - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I was just pointing out that it plays a large role in their decisions. I’ve read enough of your posts to know that you’ve got a touch of rhetoric to you too big guy. Right down to your handle that you stole from the Paul Allen show. Real original…..apparently not a great creative mind.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Only if I listened to Paul Allen anymore. I’m more of a Judd and Phunn guy on 1500

16. greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Reading between the lines, and I maybe way off…

But I think Parise and Suter are signing with Minnesota tomorrow. Just last week, we were reading on how Suter may even wait until next weekend to make his decision. Now all of a suddenly, boom, it’s going to be tomorrow? The fact he has come out and said he wants to play in the Midwest. We all know Minnesota has a need for a defenseman, an they are willing to throw out the dollars it takes to get him (believed 100 million). There was a post about a month ago, how Suter and Parise want to sign together. If the Wild land Suter, they also land Parise. Parise is getting a collosial offer from Minnesota as well. I’ve heard well over 10 years 100 million. I’m guessing they decided to sleep on it, give the offer they received back to New Jersey and Nashville respectively out of respect.

Now with all that said, it’s either both in Minnesota or Suter to Detroit and Parise to Pittsburgh.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM

The way Lou Nanne made it sound, I’m sure the Wild are gonna throw everything and the kitchen sink in to get JP. Do it, I say. DO IT NOW!

17. mnviper36 - Jul 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I wonder why sooo many people don’t think the Wild have a chance to sign Praise or Suter. If I remember right, The Wild for the 1st part of the season were the NHL’s best team before injuries hit this team hard. The Wild have the cap space this year and next year, Backstrom and Bouchard come off the cap somewhere between 10-14 million again next year.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM

And the following summer after next year when Heatley’s 10 million comes off the books

18. blomfeld - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

GET LOST YOU TROLLOP !

It’s unbelievable when you think that just a few weeks ago, this fool was actually the captain of the team which wanted to prevent our LA Kings from fulfilling their destiny ? … all I can say is “thank God” they failed miserably ! Now like some “hooker” in search of the fattest wallet available, this parasite has the nerve to turn his back on his own, showing absolutely no moral conscience or gratitude in the process ? … anyway, whichever team lands this creep will be fully “deserving” of the upset and disappointment that is sure to follow. Apart from that filthy thief Elias, I personally have nothing against the Devils or their organization. They’re a good team with good management and they have passionate and loyal fans. It has to hurt to see your leader abandon you in this way, however the Devils will be so much better off to be rid of him.

*** special video selection for the Devils and their loyal fans ***

“it’ll be okay friends” …

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D